William Sparkman via LP Radicals facebook:

Finally, getting things squared away so I can hit the road. On Jan. 18, Myself (William Sparkman), Thomas Hill and Paulie will be hitting the road for at least two weeks. We would like to get together with radicals along the way to discuss re-radicalizing the party, and promoting our pure principles. No more pandering to the duopoly. If you reside in El Paso, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles county, up the 5, around the Bay Area, up the 101 all the way into northern Oregon,around Portland (or want to meet us along the route), please post here. Will be figuring our itinerary accordingly.

The intent, is to hit all 50 states, between now and Columbus.

Responding so far: Jill and Alan Pyeatt and Jason Gonella from the the LA area, Wes Wagner and Mark Vetanen from Oregon, and Joe Buchman of Utah, who may meet us in Las Vegas.

Thomas Hill worked on Lee Wrights’ campaign for the presidential nomination; according to Chris Spangle “William Sparkman, bought convention packages, travel expenses, hotel rooms and food for 34 Texan delegates” at the 2012 LP National convention, likely changing the outcomes of the LNC officer and At Large elections.

Sparkman and Wrights, who is currently Vice Chair of the LNC, currently live near Austin, Texas, as does current LNC Chair Geoff Neale. Hill and Wrights both previously lived in North Carolina. I’m currently the LNC Alternate for Region 7 (Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama) and created the LP Radicals facebook group.

Jill Pyeatt is a contributor to IPR, and Joe Buchman used to be. The other people mentioned who will be meeting us are all regular or semi-regular IPR commenters.

132 thoughts on “LP Radicals Road Trip: Texas, Arizona, Nevada, California and Oregon, Starts January 18

This should be a good trip! Jason Gonella lives some distance from us, so we’ll have to figure out a central area to meet in Los Angeles. We’ll figure something out.

2. Mark Sengels

So there will be an embedded communist ashkenazi khazar commissar on board? LOL that screws up the whole purpose of the trip. Might as well write off the LP, or just officially change the name to Likud Party already. The Israel lobby has taken over, might as well face facts there is nothing left to win back. Goyim who are not mindless sheep need to look for a different political outlet.

3. Starchild

Sounds excellent, look forward to hanging with you guys when you come through San Francisco!

As many Libertarians I’ve spoken with can attest, I’ve got lots of ideas for getting the LP back on track as a radical, grassroots power-to-the-people party.

4. paulie Post author

Not sure if I’ll have any internet access on the road (I don’t own a computer) but you can call me 415-690-6352 or email or facebook message the other guys.

5. Tim Doran

Keep us updated as you move towards the East Coast. North Carolina LP will be happy to set-up a few meetings around the state. Thomas Hill is a friend and long time activist in the LPNC. Look forward to hearing about your progress.

6. Thomas Hill

Sure will, Tim. Really looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones. In addition to helping Mr. Sparkman on this trip, I am interested in ballot access and precinct organization. We need to build on the record breaking success of LP candidates in 2012 and prepare for even greater success in 2014 and 2016…

Can somebody explain to me what the point of this road trip is? I don’t see why it is necessary to drive around the country and meet with people when there are inventions called telephones and computers.

I suppose I could see driving around the country if Mr. Sparkman is planning to run for some type of national office, say for President in 2016 or for a seat on the LNC in 2014, and he wants to rally supporters, or if he has some large speaking engagements planned to rally support for something, but other than for things like I just described, I fail to see what the point is.

If one is just doing this for fun because they want to take a road trip, I could see going for that reason, but I fail to see the point if one is going to just to meet with a few Libertarian Party members here and there when you could just call them on the telephone or send them an email.

Andy, it’s much more effective to talk to people in person. That’s the best way to build alliances. Of course, you can be a member of the party without attending any functions, but when friendships are developed I think it’s easier to get things done. That’s the main reason people spend money to go to conventions, in my opinion.

9. Wes Wagner

Andy @9

10. Be Rational

Seriously, Andy, I’ve met you and like you, so I’m definitley going to respond to your comments here much more quickly than someone I don’t know. Even if I’ve met someone and don’t care for them, I still understand their relationship much better to the party after I’ve met them. I’m really looking forward to the visitors coming to see us.

“Jill Pyeatt // Jan 11, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Andy, it’s much more effective to talk to people in person.”

I’ve got a friend who lives in Europe. I know people who live all over the USA. Should I fly to Europe, or fly all over the USA to meet with people in person every time I want to communicate with them?

“That’s the best way to build alliances.”

What alliance is being built that doesn’t already exist? If an non-existing alliance is attempting to be built (which I doubt is even happening), which one could not be accomplished via internet or telephone?

“Of course, you can be a member of the party without attending any functions, but when friendships are developed I think it’s easier to get things done.”

Given the amount of ground that is going to be covered during a two week period of time, about the only thing that there will be time for is to meet for diner. It’s not like they’d be hanging out with anyone for a long time. I would not be surprised if all of the participants in these meetings are all people who already know each other anyway, either from LP National Conventions, or over the internet.

“That’s the main reason people spend money to go to conventions, in my opinion.”

The main reason for conventions is to nominate party officers and candidates, and to create publicity.

The meetings proposed for this road trip are not conventions.

Wes Wagner // Jan 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm

“Andy @9

As someone who in the normal course of commerce asks people to ink multimillion dollar deals, I could not emphasize enough how wrong you are about face time.”

Who is inking a multimillion dollar deal here? It sounds to me like it is just some Libertarians sitting around and BS’ing about politics, which is something that everyone involved has been doing for years.

“Be Rational // Jan 11, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Andy, Jill and Wes are correct. Think about the efficacy of collecting signatures without meeting your potential signers face to face.”

This is a ridiculous statement. Gathering thousands of signatures on petitions for people who may not even be aware that a petition drive is going on or how to get in touch with it if they do know that it is going on, has got NOTHING to do with this.

Everybody here already knows about the Libertarian Party. They are all probably already “radicals,” and they all probably already know each other, and they probably will do absolutely nothing that could not be done over the phone or via email.

Your comparison is absurd.

14. Thomas Hill

As one of three individualists on this road trip, I can only speak for myself.

In addition to working for Mr. Sparkman on this trip, I will be able to visit family that moved from Illinois to Portland.

I will get to hug, break bread and enjoy fellowship with friends I haven’t seen since the national convention last May.

I will get to shake hands and look into the eyes of friends from social media I have yet to meet in person.

I will get to visit San Francisco, northern California and Oregon for the first time.

I will work, play and laugh hard.

I thank my God for the opportunities this trip affords me.

E-mail and telephones can not deliver such joys and blessings this trip provides…

15. Be Rational

16. Allison Waters

I for one can see both sides to this totally unnessicary argument. My question is why the arguing? Why does it matter? If this is how they want to spend thier time let them. I for one think its a great idea (even IF they weren’t coming to Portland). But why waste time arguing about it?? This group of people argues way too effing much. Calm down, let’s be friends and figure out things peacefully.

17. paulie Post author

@18 Been there, done that. He doesn’t. Oh well. Not something I feel like explaining. I think Thomas Hill @17 did a good job of explaining it though. My life to live and I’ll do what calls out to me, and this calls out to me. Argue about it? Now that is a waste of time.

18. Oranje Mike

Is there a set agenda and dates or is this being pieced together as it goes along based upon interest?

19. paulie Post author

Oranje Mike

Some of one, some of the other.

Allison

Serendipity, almost eerie 🙂

I was typing my comment and saw yours after mine posted.

“Be Rational // Jan 11, 2013 at 4:25 pm

@15 Seems you don’t get it. If I actually came there and explained it to you, you would get it.”

LOL! This sounds like a cop out to me.

“Thomas Hill // Jan 11, 2013 at 4:10 pm

As one of three individualists on this road trip, I can only speak for myself.

I will work, play and laugh hard.

I thank my God for the opportunities this trip affords me.

E-mail and telephones can not deliver such joys and blessings this trip provide.”

OK, these are some points that make sense.

I have more respect for people when they say their real intentions, rather than trying to create some kind of fluffy bullshit.

The truth is that it is just a for fun road trip with some Libertarian stuff included. There’s nothing wrong with that.

23. paulie Post author

True, but…that’s pretty universally true of internet discussion fora, isn’t it? 🙂

LOL

Interesting though…I have met many people here in person and we pretty much always get along offline.

24. Oranje Mike

@paulie

If you catch wind of anything in Phoenix/Arizona, please post. Sent word to the local party to see if anyone could help coordinate anything if needed.

25. paulie Post author

Phoenix is supposed to be one of the stops. Dunno who all is meeting there. I’m supposed to be in Dallas on the 17th so I guess that means Phoenix on the 19th or 20th maybe? Anyway call me at 415-690-6352 around that time and I’ll let you know what I know at that point.

26. Allison

I’m having a hard time making friends out here because the LP is so divisive. But I love the Radicals, and any friend of Thomas is a friend of mine. 🙂

27. Doug Marks

Hey Thomas I hoping I can meet with you while you’re in the Phoenix area. I miss the gang from Illinois. It would be nice to see you again.

28. paulie Post author

Lol. No thanks. :p

Well it was worth a try.

The other day someone suggested I should run for national chair and I was like… huh wuh? …So I know how you feel on that one.

29. Pingback: LP Radicals Road Trip: Texas, Arizona, Nevada, California and Oregon, Starts January 18 « Libertarian Hippie

30. Brett H. Pojunis

Paulie – Thanks for the heads up, its time for us to do another road trip! I would love to meet up in Vegas and head to LA together. If Joe Buchman is driving from Vegas to LA then I might take him up on hitching a ride in the RV.

@7 Tim, I will be back in Charlotte Feb 5th. I spoke with Alex and I really want to get things going with LP Meck. I will be spending more time in Charlotte.

@8 Thomas, can’t wait to see you again brother!

@10 Jill – Are you going to the event in LA this weekend? I will be speaking and it would be great to see you and Alan.

You guys should bring a video camera and create some social media accounts to document the trip. My new media project is launching this week and I would love to cover it. Please keep me informed as to the dates.

Yes, Brett, we’ll be at the So CA conference Saturday. Thanks for reminding me it’s this Saturday, and I’ll need to finish the earrings I’m making for the raffle.

Have a safe trip–

32. paulie Post author

Fred

When are Y’all going to be in Oregon?

Not exactly sure. The plan is to leave Austin on the 18th, go at least as far as Portland, then be back in Austin no later than the 5th. The other guys may know more about the schedule of the stops, or there may not be one – i.e. just playing it by ear.

I probably won’t have internet or email access on the trip, although the other guys might, so call or text 415-690-6352 and I will let you know of our progress and when we are getting close.

Brett

I would love to meet up in Vegas and head to LA together.

I’m sure that by that point the other guys would love to have me ride with someone else for a leg of the trip….you know how it gets with several guys on a road trip 🙂

I think a discussion of Nevada leadership could very well be one of the things on the agenda, so I will recommend including you in that. Keep in mind I’m just a passenger. I would definitely like to find time to hang out in Vegas and/or LA for sure.

Talk to Joe about that separately, he stopped reading IPR due to a falling out with the past and current owners.

I’m not the tech guy, all I can bring by way of communication technology is my ancient cell phone. I agree that it’s a good idea and I’ll certainly participate if the technology is made available to me. But I’m not counting on it, so call me and I’ll let you know where we’re at if you aren’t seeing updates from me or the other guys online.

33. paulie Post author

Heading out in about 3-4 hours, won’t have internet/email after that (possibly until I get back in a few weeks, although not necessarily). If anyone needs me for anything call 415-690-6352.

34. paulie Post author

For all I know we may. It will depend on the other guys, who all they want to meet with, schedule, etc. If there’s not someone they want to meet past Portland or not enough time with all the stops we make why would we go past there? I guess we’ll see what happens.

I know you’re kind of “winging it”, Paulie, but if I can have a few days’ notice of when you’ll be in Los Angeles, I can try to organize a group of people who’d love to see you.

36. Paulie

Well, just stay in touch by phone, 415-690-6352, and I’ll let you know our progress. I’m not sure that we’ll know how long each stop will be until we head to the next one, but maybe we will. The plan is to leave Austin on Friday and after that I am not real sure. I’ll know more the further we get so just call me starting Friday and I’ll tell you as I learn more. Remember, there’s a chance I won’t be able to get online at all, including email, until I get back here, so the phone is by far the best bet.

37. paulie Post author

William Sparkman plans on going to all 50 states if possible, although I don’t know that I will be able to do that with him for all those trips, but maybe I can. Either way I’m sure I’ll be back up in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast states on my own over with other people at some point in the next year or two.

38. paulie Post author

Since this is supposed to be a Libertarian Party trip, you all ought to put some Libertarian Party signs on the RV. You all should also carry some party literature and bumper stickers to hand out when you pull up at various locations.

“paulie // Jan 16, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Their first tour already ended, but Glenn Beck is planning on starting another one soon. I think it will be starting from the dark side of the moon.”

I actually saw Glenn Beck in person in Pennsylvania not too long ago. I was in a shopping center and I walked by a book store and I saw this big line of people. I was wondering what in the heck was going on, so upon investigation I found out that they were in line to see Glenn Beck who was there to sign copies of his new book.

I didn’t bother trying to talk to him. If I would have I probably would have asked him something about Alex Jones or 9/11 or something like that and I may have gotten carted off by his security guards.:)

41. Thomas Hill

The first stop on the trip will be Phoenix. We should arrive there by Saturday night. Depending on the number of opportunities to meet with folks there, We should head for Las Vegas Sunday night or Monday morning.

This trip is shaping up to be a text book example of spontaneous order so it’s hard to set a hard schedule in advance.

From Vegas, we head to LA, then up around the Bay area, up the coast to Portland, Oregon.

Please comment here or call Paulie at 415-690-6352 to meet with us along our journey.

“NewFederalist // Jan 17, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Why, Andy?”

Because it is on the way and it is a major city and I know that there are quite a few Libertarian Party members there (relatively speaking).

“NewFederalist // Jan 17, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Perhaps they will stop for gas and go to the Frontier for a great burrito and even better cinnamon rolls! I lived there for 12 years and they really ought to make the stop for non-political reasons if nothing else!”

I’ve eaten at that Frontier quite a few times. It’s across the street from the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque.

I heard today that they are actually not planning to take the route that goes through Albuquerque as they are apparently going to take the southern route that goes through Las Cruces.

Brett H. Poujunis said: “@9 Andy – I went to a bunch of state conventions this year and I travel a ton. The reason I do that is to build better relationships. Yes, we can work over the phone and email as well as Skype, but you really get to know peope better in person so I agree with @10 Jill.”

I’ve long thought that Libertarians spend too much time going to meetings and not enough time engaging in political outreach. I’m not saying that Libertarians should not go to meetings, but what I am saying is that I haven’t seen anywhere near as much of an effort from the majority of Libertarians when it comes to doing outreach among the general public as I’ve seen in sitting around at meetings and bullshitting among people who are already Libertarians.

Going to meetings is just sitting around talking to people who are already Libertarians. This is what is known as preaching to the choir. It does little to grow the movement.

I think that too many Libertarians see the Libertarian Party as a social club, and that this is one of the reasons that the party has not been more successful. It’s like it is their little nerd club where they can get together with like minded people every so often and bitch and moan about what the government is doing and how things ought to be, and then they go home and feel like they accomplished something, never mind the fact that going to the meeting did absolutely NOTHING to grow the party or movement.

Sitting around and BS’ing at some meeting with like minded individuals is NOT activism. It does not grow the party or movement. If you want to grow the party then you’ve got to go out and communicate with people who are not already a part of the party. Go out to a public place and hand out party literature or DVD’s and bring a contact list so you can sign people up who are interested. Go door-to-door canvasing in neighborhoods if you can’t find a public place where you can do this that has sufficient foot traffic. Attend events armed with outreach material and contact lists where you are likely to encounter like minded people, such as gun shows or anti-war protests. Wave or hang up signs that advertise the Libertarian Party and Libertarian issues. If you are in a state where the Libertarian Party has to gather petition signatures for ballot access, then go out and gather signatures, and be sure to bring along plenty of outreach material and contact lists. If you are in a state that has partisan voter registration, then grab a stack of voter registration forms about go out and try to talk people into registering to vote under the Libertarian Party banner, and even if the state you are in does not have partisan voter registration, then go out and register people to vote anyway, as you can stop them by talking about some kind of Libertarian issue, and then find out whether or not they are registered to vote, and if they are not, try to get them to register (you don’t need to offer the registrations to everyone, just let the people know that you have them after you’ve indentified them as potential Libertarian Party supporters). If you are in a state that has a citizens initiative & referendum process, and if there are any initiative or referendum petitions going on that Libertarians support, then go out and get signatures on them and bring along some outreach material to hand out to those who are interested as well as contact lists so you can sign up people you encounter who are interested in the Libertarian Party. If you happen to live near a college, particularly one that does not have a Libertarian Club on the campus, then go over to the college with outreach material and a contact list so you can find students who are interested in starting up a college club, and then once the club is started, encourage them to engage in outreach activities.

The activities that I mentioned above are all things that grow the party. Sitting on your rear end at some meeting and BS’ing around with people who are already Libertarians is not growing the party.

I did NOT get involved with this stuff so I could be a part of some social club. I got involved because I don’t like what the government is doing and because I want more freedom, and I want it in my lifetime, and as soon as possible. I don’t really care that much about the social club aspect of the Libertarian Party. I’m not saying that I’m opposed to socializing with other Libertarians, but what I am saying is that this is NOT my priority, as my priority is growing the party and movement so more freedom can be achieved in my lifetime. A social club can be nice, but it SHOULD NOT BE ANYONE’S PRIORITY, NOT IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT GROWING THE PARTY AND MOVEMENT. I encourage everyone to think objectively about what you do in the Libertarian Party, and if you are one who does a lot of sitting around and preaching the the choir, with little or no time spent communicating with the general public and trying to bring in new people to the party, then I hope that you realize that you are not being effective, and I hope that you will take steps to become more effective at actually growing the party.

I also think that Libertarians who only promote the Libertarian Party or electoral politics are delusional. I see participation in the Libertarian Party and electoral politics in general as a tool, but it is not the only tool. I suggest using the Libertarian Party to run for office and to promote Libertarian issues, and in addition to this, to also promote strategies that are outside of electoral politics, such as jury nullification of victimless crimes and the use of alternate currencies such as gold & silver or Bitcoins. Acting as though electoral politics is the only thing that we can do or should do is shortsighted.

If the Libertarian Party chapter that you are in is not doing things like I listed above, then I’d say that your chapter is ineffective. It is nice to have monthly meetings, but if all you do is sit around and talk to like minded people then you are not accomplishing very much. I’ve long thought that in addition to having monthly meetings where you sit around and talk to other Libertarians, there ought to be monthly, or better yet, weekly, outreach meetings, where you go to public locations or events or go door-to-door canvasing, with the goal of bringing more people into the party.

If you are are person who just can’t do public outreach, either because you are too shy and you are unwilling to overcome it, or because you’ve got health problems, or because you are just too busy, then donate money to those who can (for the cost of outreach material, signs, renting tables, etc…), or write letters to news papers or magazines that plug the Libertarian Party, or post about the Libertarian Party on message boards which are frequented by people who are not already Libertarian Party members. The bottom line is do whatever you can do to grow the party and movement by bringing in more people, don’t just sit around and preach to the choir.

I also don’t think that people should sit around and wait for orders from headquarters to do any of this type of stuff. While it can be nice to have a group of people with whom to do this stuff, any of this stuff can be done on one’s own. A person can order a stack of those Libertarian Party door hangers from LP National and start going door-to-door in their own neighborhood, or perhaps a neighborhood that is near their neighborhood if they do not want to do it in their own neighborhood for some reason, and hang them up on people’s door knobs. This is something that can actually grow the party, unlike sitting on one’s ass at a monthly supper club, or posting on some online message board that is only read by fellow Libertarians.

I’ve been in the Libertarian Party since 1996, and I can say that I’ve seen a hell of a lot more actual outreach activity done by the people at the Ron Paul Meet Ups and Campaign for Liberty groups from 2007-present than I’ve ever seen out of the Libertarian Party. I’ve been all over the country and it is very rare to find a Libertarian Party group that actually does anything other than sit around and have a bull fest with the same group of people once a month. Some Libertarian Party groups are more active than others, and I applaud the ones who are the more active ones, but in all honesty, most of the Libertarian Party groups I’ve seen do little more than sit around and have a bitch and whine among themselves fest once a month.

If your Libertarian Party “activism” time is just spent talking to fellow Libertarians, then know that you are not really much of an activist, you are a person who sits around and talks to the already converted. THIS IS NOT ACTIVISM. THIS DOES LITTLE OR NOTHING TO GROW THE PARTY.

46. Thomas Hill

Speaking of coalition building, I will be representing the Foundation For A Free Society and distributing copies of our multiple award winning movie DVD, “Nullification, The Rightful Remedy, which was produced in partnership with The Tenth Amendment Center. I will also be promoting our latest movie project, in partnership with Oath Keepers, “Against All Enemies – Honoring the Oath. Defending the Constitution.”

I wish you would at least let this road trip get started before you pass judgement on a mission you know very little about.

Thomas Hill
    Development Director,
    Foundation For A Free Society

“Thomas Hill // Jan 18, 2013 at 1:27 am

If the original intent of this trip was to socialize with the choir, then yes that would not activism or growing the party. If you truly believe that is the case, then you are simply wrong.”

If you read my above posts, you’ll see that I already acknowledged that the trip is a fun road trip with some Libertarian stuff thrown in, and I already said that there is nothing wrong with this.

My point about Libertarians doing too much preaching to the choir and not enough trying to bring in new converts was a general point about the party as a whole, not really about this particular road trip.

Thomas Hill said: “Party building, outreach and coalition building will play a huge part of this trip.

Speaking of coalition building, I will be representing the Foundation For A Free Society and distributing copies of our multiple award winning movie DVD, ‘Nullification, The Rightful Remedy,’ which was produced in partnership with The Tenth Amendment Center. I will also be promoting our latest movie project, in partnership with Oath Keepers, ‘Against All Enemies – Honoring the Oath. Defending the Constitution.’”

This is good. I’m glad to read that you’ll be doing this.

49. Zapper

Andy, You are correct that the LP spends too much time talking, compaining and squabbling and not enough time on outreach of all kinds.

However, to get the all of the State and local LP groups moving in the right direction will probably require having individuals travel around attending all these dysfunctional meetings, as a sort of consultant, to try and turn the groups from facing inward to facing outward.

Subsequently, the regular meetings, whether monthly or quarterly, would primarily serve as planning sessions to organize, set up, coordinate and carry out a variety of outreach programs.

Thomas, congratulations of your involvement with “Nullification”! It’s an excellent movie, and we own a copy. It’s being shown at the UCLA campus tonight.

“NewFederalist // Jan 18, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Where are the “Road Trip Boys” now? I don’t do Facebook or Twitter so I have to follow their adventures right here on IPR!”

Probably west Texas or New Mexico by now.

This sounds like it could be a plot for a movie. Three Libertarians. One van. A trip out west. Let the adventure begin. LOL!

54. Thomas Hill

We will be in Phoenix tonight and will head to Vegas Sunday afternoon. Call me at (847)507-8621 if anyone wants to hook up.

“This sounds like it could be a plot for a movie. ”

Perhaps Disney will remake “The Three Amigos” using this angle.

56. Be Rational

What you have suggested is a location and the commonalities of three main characters. This is not a “plot.”

plot/pl?t/ Show Spelled [plot] Show IPA noun, verb, plot·ted, plot·ting.
    noun

2. Also called storyline. the plan, scheme, or main story of a literary or dramatic work, as a play, novel, or short story.

57. paulie Post author

PHX – if anyone wants to meet up here call us.

Just stopped at Starbucks to check internet on Thomas computer for a minute. Phones (scroll up).

“paulie // Jan 19, 2013 at 6:08 pm

PHX – if anyone wants to meet up here call us.”

You all should visit the Freedoms Phoenix Workshop which was started by Ernie Hancock. It’s a really cool place. I’d like to see more places like it pop up all over the country.

Ed Vallejo says that’s at Ernie’s house now, Ernie was busy but we met with Ed and Warren Severin. Now in Vegas with Debra and rounding up more people.

It seems like the trio will be in Los angeles late next week. Please email or call me if you want to meet up with them in Los Angeles, and I’ll start looking for someplace we can all meet. (626)375-0947 or stone@altrionet.com
    You can always give me your info here, also.

“paulie // Jan 20, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Ed Vallejo says that’s at Ernie’s house now, Ernie was busy but we met with Ed and Warren Severin.”

I don’t see how they could have the Freedoms Phoenix Workshop at Ernie’s house. I’ve never seen Ernie Hancock’s house, but it would have to be a pretty large house to replicate the Freedom’s Phoenix Workshop, plus the Workshop could have been open at any time of the day any day of the year, so I have a hard time imagining anyone wanting a bunch of people showing up at their house at all hours of the day.

If the Freedoms Phoenix Workshop location did close down that’s a damn shame.

62. Kevin Knedler

Nice weather in Phoenix. I was out here for a week for auto auctions. Better than midwest cold weather. Biltmore is wonderful.

63. paulie Post author

“paulie // Jan 22, 2013 at 11:22 am

Vegas one more night tonight, then LA for probably 2-3 days, then SF most likely over the weekend. Followed by Portland, (weather permitting) Salt Lake City, Grand Junction CO, (? not sure if William meant on this trip or another one – Kansas City, Oklahoma), maybe Dallas for the Superbowl with JJM on 2/3, Austin on 2/5.”

I’m surprised that you all are not going to San Diego while you are out there.

65. Oranje Mike

#90,

Mr. Hancock has a nice place. It’s my understanding that all his operation are done at home now.

There’s a lot of interest for the visit here in the eastern part of Los Angeles. If the group will still be out tomorrow, we can meet at a Carrow’s in Rancho Cucamonga. I’ll call you in the morning, Paulie.

I went off on a rant above in this thread about my frustration with the lack of outreach activism in the Libertarian Party. Here’s a good example of this that happened in Los Angeles a few years ago.

November of 2008. There was an End the Fed (as in End the Federal Reserve) rally held in Los Angeles that was part of a national effort with similar rallies being held at the same time at every Federal Reserve branch in the country. These rallies were promoted online for several weeks before the event.

I attended the rally thinking that I’d likely run into other Libertarian Party members there (note that I was active in the Libertarian Party in Los Angeles for several years). I arrived at the rally, and I did not see one person who I knew from the Libertarian Party of California. I attended LP meetings in the Los Angeles area for several years, including the LP National Convention when it was held in Anaheim in 2000, and the LP of California State Convention when it was held near LAX (Los Angeles International Airport) in 2005. So it was not like I did not know any LP members from that area. I actually brought some Libertarian Party fliers with me (which I had printed up at my own expense), and I walked through the crowd and handed them out. I don’t know exactly how many people were there, but I’d say that it was probably around 200. I don’t know exactly how many Libertarian Party fliers I had with me, but it was probably around 100. So it is not like I gave a flier to every person there, but I did work my way through the crowd and I handed out all of the fliers, and I did talk to quite a few people about the Libertarian Party while I was doing it.

Out of all of the people I spoke to that day, only one of them told me that they had been a Libertarian Party member, but this person said that they were a member for a few years back in the 1990’s, but they had quit the party out of frustration to to the party not doing much of anything. They said that they had become re-activated to political action due to Ron Paul’s run for the Republican Party’s Presidential nomination in 2007-2008.

I was astounded, and rather appalled at the same time, that I did not run into one other person there that was an LP member. A lot of the people there were already familiar with the Libertarian Party, and they had a positive opinion of it, although some of the people there had never even heard of the party.

The Libertarian Party has been rallying against the Federal Reserve System since its inception. I was disgusted that the Libertarian Party did not have a presence at this event, besides myself. There are plenty of Libertarian Party members in Los Angeles County. Los Angeles County is the most populated county in the country, and I know damn well that there are a lot of LP members there. Los Angeles County is surrounded by Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, Kern County, and Ventura County, and I know damn well that there are plenty of Libertarian Party members who live in those counties and who are within a reasonable commuting distance to where this rally was held. I know that traffic is a problem in that area, but this event was held on a Saturday, and traffic is not as bad on Saturday as it is Monday-Friday, plus most people work Monday-Friday, so I’d imagine that there were plenty of LP members who had that day off.

Libertarian Party members should have been there with signs, LP outreach material, and sign up sheets. LP members should have been there with voter registration forms to ask people who were not registered to vote to register under the Libertarian Party banner, or to ask people to switch their registration to being under the Libertarian Party banner if they were already registered to vote under some other banner (note that a lot of the people there registered as Republicans just so they could vote for Ron Paul in the primary). Libertarian Party members should have been there letting people know where the local LP meetings are in the Los Angeles area. Heck, if I had not shown up, and did not happen to have Libertarian Party fliers with me (which, once again, I printed up at my own expense), the Libertarian Party would have had ZERO presence at this event.

Now some fool my chime in and make the idiotic and inaccurate claim that this was not a libertarian event. My response to this is that anyone who says this is not a real Libertarian and does not belong in the party. The Federal Reserve System is about as anti-libertarian as you can get. Also, I’d describe pretty much everyone that I encountered at this event as a small “l” libertarian, some of them already knew this, but some of them were new to the movement and were not even familiar with the word libertarian. Some of the people I ran into were angry that the Libertarian Party nominated Bob Barr for President, and they said that they would have voted for the Libertarian Party in the Presidential race if they had nominated an actual libertarian instead of Bob Barr.

Now I understand that people have lives outside of politics and can’t make it to every event, but come on, this is freaking Los Angeles, California, the 2nd largest city and 2nd largest metropolitan area in the country. I know for a fact that there are lots of LP members that live in this area. The event was held on a Saturday. I do not believe that every Libertarian Party member that was within reasonable commuting distance of this event was too busy to make it that day.

I’ve been a member of the LP since 1996, and I think that this was just another example of the culture of inactivity that is so prevalent in the Libertarian Party, and this is one of the reasons that the party is not more successful. A lot of Libertarian Party members will show up at a meeting (of course, others won’t even do that), and they will sit around and talk about politics, whine, debate, etc…, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO GOING OUT IN PUBLIC AND ENGAGING IN REAL WORLD POLITICS, MANY OF THESE PEOPLE ARE NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. Talking to people who are already LP members DOES NOT GROW THE PARTY. The Libertarian Party ought to make an effort to have a presence every time there is some kind of pro-liberty event, such as End the Fed rallies, anti-war protests, pro-marijuana legalization rallies, gun shows, etc… The Libertarian Party ought to have a presence at every college campus. Is there a Libertarian campus club at all of the college campuses near you? If not then make an effort to get them started and to make sure that they do not go defunct. Libertarian Party members should go to places where the general public has access and hand out party literature and DVD’s. Libertarian Party members should go to places where the public has access and ask people to sign up to be on the Libertarian Party’s announcement list. Libertarian Party members should go to public places and ask people to sign petitions or register to vote. Libertarian Party members should engage in Fully Informed Jury ( http://www.FIJA.org ) activism, and they should do this not only in front of court houses, but also at any place where the public has access, and also by going door-to-door to people’s homes. Libertarian Party members should do -door-to-door canvasing through neighborhoods. Door-to-door canvasing is one of the most effective ways to get people elected to local and district offices. Libertarian Party members should do more sign waving on busy streets, and more hanging up of signs. The signs should clearly display as short Libertarian Party message along with the http://www.LP.org website and 800-ELECTUS phone number.

The things I mentioned above are all things that can be done to grow the party, yet I really haven’t seen a whole lot of it in the 16 1/2 years that I’ve been in the party. Sure, I’ve seen some here and there, but not anywhere close to enough. It amazes me how Libertarians will run off across the country for some meeting, but they won’t got out and door-to-door canvas in their own neighborhoods, or pass out party information in public venues in their own area, or do much of any kind of real world activism that will actually grow the party. It seems like too many people in the party would rather preach, gripe, and argue at party meetings than do anything to grow the party.

“but I’d say that it was probably around 200.”

I should have said at least 200 people. I actually think that there were more than 200 people during the peak part of the rally.

Here’s a foolish comment that I’ve heard from a disturbing number of LP members, including some who are State Chairs:

“Now we met the vote test to retain ballot access, so we will save _______ (insert projected petition drive cost) that we’d spend getting on the ballot.”

Another variation of this is:

“If we get on the ballot in the next election, and meet the vote test, we will save ______ (insert projected petition drive cost) that we’d spend getting on the ballot in the next election.”

Here’s what is so foolish about this. They will say that the party will save $200,000 or $80,000 or however many dollars that they’d spend on a petition drive, but then not realize or even attempt to raise that much money spending it on some other aspect of politics.

Instead, they should say, something like, “Well now we don’t have to spend ______ (insert projected petition drive cost here), so we will raise that amount of money and spend it on TV or radio advertising, or on billboards, or on hiring people to do door-to-door canvasing, or to hire people to conduct a Libertarian Party voter registration drive, or to send it to another state where the Libertarian Party does not have ballot access.”

These people act as though there are no other useful purposes for there money to be spent building the Libertarian Party, so they should just save whatever they would have spent on a petition drive. THIS LINE OF THINKING DOES NOTHING TO BUILD THE PARTY.

I’ve got a news flash for everyone. Building a political party and movement is a heck of a lot of work, and it costs a heck of a lot of money. Just because you are fortunate enough to live in a state that has a vote test where you can obtain ballot access through a vote test, and you were able to attain it (note that not all states have this, and note that some of the states that do have it have set the percent of the vote needed to retain ballot access so high that it is difficult to achieve), IT SHOULD NOT MEAN THAT YOU JUST SIT ON YOUR HANDS AFTER THIS. Who are your door-to-door canvasers? Who is going around boosting your voter registration numbers? How many TV and radio commercials are you running? How many billboards do you have up? How many signs do you have up that are not billboards? Who is going around to all of the colleges in your state and starting up campus clubs? Does the Libertarian Party have ballot access in every state? No. Well then why don’t you donate to Libertarian Party chapters in other states so they can also get on the ballot?

Anyone who takes the attitude of, “Well, we are on the ballot now, so now we don’t have to raise _____ (insert projected cost for ballot access here.” and then who does nothing after this is not a person who should be in a leadership position.

There is plenty of work that needs to be done to shift the direction this country is headed in away from authoritarianism and toward individual liberty. Heck, we are not even close to achieving this. Even if we were to make major gains in that direction, it would be a lot of work to make sure to keep the gains for liberty and to make sure things to slip back the other way. “The price for liberty is eternal vigilance.” to borrow a quote for Thomas Jefferson.

“for there money to be spent building the Libertarian Party, ”

Should read “for their money to be spent building the Libertarian Party”.

“and to make sure things to slip back the other way. ”

Should read, “and to make sure things do not slip back the other way.”

72. paulie Post author

That works. My phone runs out of charge a lot so call Thomas if I don’t answer.

73. paulie Post author

I’m surprised that you all are not going to San Diego while you are out there.

I didn’t say we won’t. Playing it by ear and seeing how many people want to meet us where.

Andy–you make some good points. I have no idea why there weren’t more Libertarians there, at the rally you recall. All I can do is speak for myself. I try to publicize most community events, especially those that most other Libertarians might not run across. For example, there was a community meeting last week at 9:30 in the morning in downtown Los Angeles to discuss a proposed fee to be assessed to every property owner in LA C0unty re: clean water. It was a vague , open-ended, badly written proposal. I certainly wasn’t able to go because I have published office hours, and I try to be there as often as I can. So, I brought the paper to our meeting and showed everyone that they needed to tear off the inside coupon and mail it in with your yes or no vote (it was obviously designed to look like junk mail). I don’t know ifa ny of my people from my region made it to the meeting, but the proposal was put aside because so many people were loudly opposed to it. That same week there was a protest at a federal building in downtown on the anniversary of Guantanamo’s opening. I know for sure that some of my people made it. There are many, many events in Los Angeles, easily several a week. I have a home to take care of besides a business to run ande a family, so I don’t make many of the protests. That doesn’t mean I’m busy just going to social Libertarian meetings. I spend some time here on IPR, but I spend a lot of time on Facebook where I have many, many non-Libertarian friends. I post timely political stuff every day. I know for sure people read and learn what I post because I’m told that all the time.

You have some good ideas, and, although I know you travel a lot because of the field you’re in, try to become a region leader so that you can organize the type of events you’re talking about. There are many ways to grow the party, and we certainly need to do a better job than we have in the past.

Also, as a region chairperson, I tell my group all the time that one of the best things we can do for outreach is to join outside groups that happen to share our view in ceertain categories. For example, I’ve attended WeAreChange meetings the past few years and have told many of the people there that their views are libertarian, and many of them really didn’t know that. so, I tell them about our party. I’ve recruited some people to start coming to our meetings. Also, we have a good group of Ron Paul activists in our city that were technically Republicans. We made lots of friends and tend to attend each other’s events, such as screening a movie such as the “Nullify” movie. We do this a couple times a month. I think a lot of us are much more active than you’re aware of.

So, we now have a place set up to meet the Traveling Trio tonight. We can meet at Carrows in Rancho Cucamonga: 11669 Foothill Blvd. From the 210, it’s south and then left on Foothill. From the 15, I’m pretty sure there’s a Foothill exit, and go west. Here’s a phone number for the restaurant: 909-481-5644. My number is 626-375-0947. I believe they’ll still be in the area Thursday night, if Rancho is to far for someone, but I don’t think anything is planned yet for Thursday. Here’s Thomas’ number: 847-507-8621, and Paulie’s is 415-690-6352.

6:30 is the time I asked for the banquet room, but please don’t stay away if you can’t get there that early. We’ll still be there for a few hours–

Just got some domains, the sites are not made yet…

OMNIVERSALRESISTANCE.COM

UNIVERSALRESISTANCE.COM

UNIVERSALRESISTANCE.NET

UNIVERSALRESISTANCE.ORG

WORLDWIDERESISTANCE.COM

WORLDWIDERESISTANCE.NET

WORLDWIDERESISTANCE.ORG

We had such a great time with Paulie, William and Thomas last night! I plan to write something up about it, probably later tonight. Alan has a couple more photos, also that I’ll post.

I’ll post what I can about the secretary position as soon as I can, unless another writer gets to it first. It appears there’s more Oregon stuff to post, too.

In the meantime, I have a job I need to get back to…darn that pesky making-a-living thing–

79. Bob Tiernan

“So, we now have a place set up to meet the Traveling Trio tonight”

Hey Guys, when you get to Oregon don’t forget to look up Richard Burke in case you want to be taken to some strip clubs. He loves those places. Keep in mind that he doesn’t want to embarrass the LP in the eyes of independent voters, so he wears a nicely pressed suit and tie in case he’s spotted.

Bob Tiernan

I really love “Sparkling Liberty”. That would be a good name for my jewelry business, if I hadn’t already purchased a domain!

IPR readers might be interested to hear that the travelers, along with me and my husband, Alan, had dinner with Aaron Starr himself last night. I’ll write up an article later today or, more likely, tomorrow evening, regarding their three day visit in Los Angeles.

Jill Pyeatt said: “Jill Pyeatt // Jan 26, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I believe the travelers are on their way to San Francisco now, with a couple pretty ladies they’ve gathered along the way–”

Who are the ladies that they gathered along the way?

“Jill Pyeatt // Jan 26, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Sarah Bales and Debra Dedmon.”

I know Debra. I’m not sure if I know who Sarah is or not.

Sarah is fairly new to the party. She worked for Gary Johnson’s campaign. She’s an excellent activist, besides being pretty and fun.

85. Wes Wagner

Meet William Sparkman and the Texas team

7:00 PM to 9:30 PM

Birra Deli

18749 Southwest Martinazzi Avenue, Tualatin, OR

“Wes Wagner // Jan 29, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Meet William Sparkman and the Texas team”

Since when is Paul from Texas? He’s been there a few times but never spent a great amount of time there, so I wouldn’t refer to him as being a part of some Texas team.

“122 George Phillies // Jan 30, 2013 at 4:35 am

The Texas team plans on including Libertarians from every state, I suspect.”

Then maybe it should be called something other than the Texas Team.

Here is a photo of the group in Portland Oregon. The man on the left is Oregonian Adam Michaud.

We met the group in Pasadena last night for dinner. Debra and Sarah are a good addition to the group. They’ve definitely had some fun along the way such as a nude protest in San Francisco with Starchild, whose house apparently has an Assault Table which seemed to have it out for them (something about an Assault Lemon, too–
    They met some people in North San Diego County today, and we’ll meet them in Wildomar with Gene Trosper and Shannon Black around 5. Then, I believe they’ll be on their way.

“126 Jill Pyeatt // Feb 3, 2013 at 6:20 pm

We met the group in Pasadena last night for dinner.”

So they went up north from southern California to Portland, Oregon, and turned around and are headed back to southern California?

If so, this is not the route I expected them to go.

“Allison Waters // Feb 3, 2013 at 7:18 pm

They didn’t plan to go back that way, but the weather was a big concern, DMSO they went back the ‘safe’ route.”

I can certainly understand being concerned about bad weather, but a different route would have made for a more interesting trip.