The New Hampshire Union-Leader re-affirmed its support for Gary Johnson, Libertarian for President, in an editorial signed by Joseph W. McQuaid, Publisher:
Some readers have asked us recently, in no uncertain terms, to change our presidential endorsement from Libertarian Gary Johnson to Donald Trump. Some cynics, citing our less than perfect presidential endorsement record, have urged us to do so, saying it will surely sink Trump.
The best advice we have received is in the form of a letter from Charlie Perkins, a longtime Union Leader editor, now retired. We reprint it here today and urge all our readers to consider it.
I hope the newspaper stands firm. Perhaps Trump is better than Hillary Clinton. That doesn’t matter. Both are unfit to hold office.
1. Gary Johnson has flopped but he’s a decent man.
2. Clinton was a bad secretary of state but Trump would be a worse commander in chief. No one who is so volatile, vengeful and impulsive should control the world’s most powerful military.
3. If Clinton wins and the GOP holds the House and/or Senate, gridlock reigns. That’s OK. We can survive four more years with a weak Democrat in the White House.
4. If Trump wins, a spineless Republican Congress will applaud his liberal and/or fascist executive orders. Clinton would undercut the Bill of Rights but Trump will trample it. That will do more damage than one more Democrat on the Supreme Court.
5. Trump’s election would mean that conservatives are as dead as the Whigs.
This 2016 election is a disaster no matter who wins the presidency. If America is to do better in 2020, the fight starts now. A vote for Johnson is not merely a protest against two unworthy candidates, it’s a statement of opposition to the corrupt and failed two-party system that nominated them.
Published @ The Union-Leader http://www.unionleader.com/editorials/an-editorial-we-stand-firm-on-choice-for-president–20161106