Two States Withdraw from the Libertarian State Leadership Alliance

Door slammingYesterday, the leadership of two states made the decision to withdraw from the Libertarian State Leadership Alliance (LSLA). The LSLA has been a topic of conversation here on IPR several times over the past few months. See here ,
here , and here.

Dear LSLA. ..The state of Georgia libertarian party is leaving the LSLA..The chairman has been authorized to action as he sees fit until the LSLA recognizes only one state chair of a state party ..The same chair that the chairman of the LNC and the state of of Oregon recognizes. . As state chair I find it unacceptable that that the LSLA is making that decision to recognize another faction.. while the state of Oregon and the LNC has made it clear who is the chair. ..When the LSLA gets on the same page as the LNC. ..then Georgia will take another vote to rejoin the LSLA. ..

The Libertarian Party of Oregon has made a similar decision:

From: Wes Wagner <wes.wagner@gmail.com>

Date: January 16, 2014, 12:19:50 PM PST

To: “paulie .”
<travellingcircus@gmail.com>, Jill Pyeatt <stone@altrionet.com>, Brett Bittner <brett@superbusy.com>, Brett Bittner <brett.bittner@lpgeorgia.com>, George Phillies <phillies@4liberty.net>, Joseph Buchman <drbuchman@gmail.com>

Subject: Oregon is leaving the LSLA

At last nights board meeting, there was an 8-0 vote to thank the Libertarian Party of Georgia for their support and declare that Oregon is leaving the LSLA and that we will provide no representation to the organization.

Wes Wagner
Chairperson, Libertarian Party of Oregon

It is unknown at this time how this will affect Brett Bittner, who is the current Chairman of the LSLA, and is from Georgia.

UPDATE

This afternoon, an email was sent out by LP Chairman Geoff Neale re: the LSLA’s email list:

Geoffrey Neale

2:37 PM (5 minutes ago)

to lnc-discuss

We now officially have a problem.

Staff and the LNC need a discussion list with representatives from all recognized affiliates, IMO. While communications can be performed by including non LSLA entities separately, it’s not ideal.

If the LSLA needs a list that contains only their “members”, and those lists are not the same, then the obvious answer is two lists.

I propose that we take back full administration of the state chairs list, and that it contain only recognized affiliates, and their designees (within a reasonable constraint – perhaps up to five people). Staff will maintain this list.

The LSLA can decide if it wants a separate list, or if it wants to use the LNC state chairs discussion list. If it wants a separate list, I do not think it should be hosted on lp.org.

I am not at this time submitting a motion to this effect, because I do not know the manner in which administration authority over the state chairs list was given to the LSLA. If it was a formal motion of the LNC, then it will take a formal motion of the LNC to change it. If it was some form of administrative decision, then it would not require a decision of the LNC to change.

I would just LOVE to look at years and years of LNC minutes, but I just do not have the time to do so. Anyone who wishes to do this research would be a hero in my eyes.

Please share your opinions.

Geoffrey Neale

8 thoughts on “Two States Withdraw from the Libertarian State Leadership Alliance

Brett Bittner

3:37 PM (2 hours ago)

to LP-State
    All,

I am saddened by the recent actions and reactions that ground down action and discussion about REAL politics, taking up the valuable time that many of us invest in advancing Libertarian ideals. I am saddened that petty personal politics have obscured the view of a Libertarian future to continue to focus on one state’s internal squabble that has occupied far too much of my (and others’) time.

I will not waste yours with an accounting of the many times this issue has been before me, but it exceeds a single hand’s counting ability.

Today, we saw the news that the Chairman of the Libertarian Party of Georgia decided it best to withdraw from the Libertarian State Leadership Alliance. I withhold my opinion of that action, the discussion with the state leadership that precipitated the vote taken, and my personal opinion of what is the right action to take.

I believe that the mission and direction of the LSLA is one that adds value to the state affiliates and their leadership and enjoy the company of those with whom I’ve worked in my varying capacities since joining the Executive Board in 2012. I’m proud of the activities undertaken to meet that mission and direction, especially with our efforts at the 2013 annual meeting and conference in Colorado in May.

I also believe strongly in doing what is right, even when what I believe to be wrong tacks an “easier” path. Further, I believe it is wrong to have someone in leadership of an organization that cannot maintain the membership from the people that person represents. The Chairman of Georgia acted to withdraw Georgia’s participation, and I cannot stand in opposition or defiance of that decision.

It is with regret that I inform the state chairs and the Executive Board that I must relinquish the Chairmanship to do what I believe to be right. Simply put, I cannot serve as Chairman of an organization in which my own state terminates their participation, regardless of my personal desire or commitment.

Live Free,

Brett C. Bittner
    brett.bittner@lpgeorgia.com

Executive Director
    Libertarian Party of Georgia

Chairman
    Libertarian State Leadership Alliance

“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” — Thomas Jefferson

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 1:34 PM, wrote:

_______________________________________________
    Statechairs mailing list
    Statechairs@hq.lp.org

_______________________________________________
    Statechairs mailing list
    Statechairs@hq.lp.org
    Brett H. Pojunis

3:49 PM (2 hours ago)

to Brett, LP-State
    Mr. Bittner,

I fully understand where you are coming from but I would encourage you not to resign. As many of you know, myself along with other key individuals such as Kevin Knedler and Aaron Starr helped rekindle the LSLA because we believe it has the potential to be a viable organization. I still do!

As I am frustrated too, we must continue to drive on and I hope that you stay on board. I would be happy to endorse you as a representative from Nevada! However, I don’t want to waste time on petty things either, I guess we must pick and choose our battles.

I hope that one day we can start fighting real battles.

Best,

Brett H. Pojunis
    Chairman of the Libertarian Party of Nevada
    Libertarian National Committee (LNC) – Region 4 Representative
    The Libertarian Post – Founder
    1771 E. Flamingo Road, Suite 201 A
    Las Vegas, NV 89119
    702.763.9301 | Office (direct)
    702.325.7426 | Las Vegas Mobile
    202.505.3606 | Washington D.C. Mobile
    brett@pojunis.com

_______________________________________________
    Statechairs mailing list
    Statechairs@hq.lp.org

Geoffrey Neale

2:37 PM (3 hours ago)

to lnc-discuss

We now officially have a problem.

Please share your opinions.

Geoffrey Neale

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

_______________________________________________
    Lnc-discuss mailing list
    Lnc-discuss@hq.lp.org
    Brett H. Pojunis

4:22 PM (1 hour ago)

to lnc-discuss, lnc-discuss
    Mr. Chair,

With the recent resignation of the Chairman of the LSLA I will ask that we refrain from taking action at this time. Although I agree that something must be done, now is not the time and I encourage the rest of the LNC to do the same.

Best,

Brett H. Pojunis
    Chairman of the Libertarian Party of Nevada
    Libertarian National Committee (LNC) – Region 4 Representative
    The Libertarian Post – Founder
    1771 E. Flamingo Road, Suite 201 A
    Las Vegas, NV 89119
    702.763.9301 | Office (direct)
    702.325.7426 | Las Vegas Mobile
    202.505.3606 | Washington D.C. Mobile
    brett@pojunis.com

_______________________________________________
    Lnc-discuss mailing list
    Lnc-discuss@hq.lp.org

3. Pingback: Chairman of Libertarian State Leadership Alliance, Brett Bittner, Resigns | Independent Political Report

4. Steve M

A google search statechairs_hq.lp.org lsla site:lp.org

is a 3 page list of files including many lnc minutes. None show a direct transfer of the statechairs list server responsibilities.

As of April 16, 2011 Robert Kraus had the responsibility for

Administrator of lp.org & hq.lp.org email and group list servers

if you look at the bottom of the page for hq.lp.org/mailman/listinfo/lnc-discuss_hq.lp.org

you see

Lnc-discuss list run by robert.kraus at lp.org
    Lnc-discuss administrative interface (requires authorization)
    Overview of all hq.lp.org mailing lists

the hq.lp.org/mailman/listinfo/statechairs_hq.lp.org has

Statechairs list run by lpadmin at hq.lp.org, starrcpa at gmail.com
    Statechairs administrative interface (requires authorization)
    Overview of all hq.lp.org mailing lists

I suspect that Robert Kraus should know when this change happened and why or at least what he was told.

Look to see when the mailman configuration files where changed and then look back at the previous minutes to see if there was an LNC ordered transfer. At this point I don’t think there was.

5. Steve M

my sending anything to the lnc has been like sending info into a black hole….(with the exception of donations where I at least get requests for more donations) I trust one of the ipr readers will forward the info.