Posted at votenader.org
Independent Presidential Candidate Ralph Nader and his vice presidential running mate, Matt Gonzalez, will hold a joint news conference at City Hall, 1st Floor, News Conference Room #1034, 301 West 2nd St., Austin, Texas 78701, on Mon., July 28 at 11:30 a.m.
Texas is an example of excessive corporate power usurping the power of the people. Examples include NAFTA-inspired boondoggles like the Trans-Texas Corridor, and corporate-friendly “reforms” in the state legal system that undermines citizens’ right to use the courts to seek justice. Mr. Nader and Mr. Gonzalez will propose solutions that shift power over government back to the people.
In addition, the candidates will address critical issues the major party candidates have taken “off the table” that the Nader/Gonzalez campaign has put on the table, including:
* a comprehensive, negotiated military and corporate withdrawal date from Iraq;
* a single-payer, Canadian-style, private delivery, free-choice public health insurance system for all;
* a living wage and repeal of the anti-union Taft-Hartley Act;
* a no-nuke, solar-based energy policy supported by renewable, sustainable, energy-efficient sources;
* a carbon tax to deter global warming;
* an end to the corporate welfare and corporate crime that has resulted in millions losing pensions, savings and jobs and squandered tax dollars; and,
* more direct democracy reflecting the preamble to our constitution which starts with “we the people,” and not “we the corporations.”