From a release by Jim Burns, who is seeking the Libertarian Party nomination for President:
I offer the following 251 words about United States foreign policy:
I agree with these words of Carl Schurz “My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.”
There is much that needs to be set right. Let us use the following tools to change direction to set us to the right:*
- John 8:32: “Know the truth and the truth shall set you free.”
- People should be allowed to live as they choose so long as they do not initiate force, threaten to initiate force or engage in fraud against their fellow human beings.
- “Government… deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the governed,” Thomas Jefferson
- “…none can give to any, a power which they have not in themselves.” – Algernon Sidney
- “Government is not reason, it is not eloquence: It is force.” George Washington
A sensible step to knowledge is to bring the issue down to fundamentals. Libertarianism is the fundamental of human rights. We should have these rights as individuals and should be allowed to use these rights in concert with others. Governments rightly can only be granted powers that the people have themselves. The power of government is force which may be used to protect the rights of the people, yet there is a strong danger that the force can be used improperly. The logical consequence to foreign policy is non-interventionism in the affairs of other nations, free-trade, rule of libertarian law, and people should travel for their own profit and at their own risk.
PO Box 1139
Beatty, NV 89003
*I do not mean right wing, I mean ethically, rationally and/or correctly.
PS: Because of the increase in gas prices, I had to postpone my trip.