Email from Pat Dixon to email@example.com:
Fellow delegate to the Libertarian Party national convention,
Very soon you will be deciding the direction and nature of our party. I only ask if you want results? Do you want to see achievement?
My name is Pat Dixon. I have been the chair of the Libertarian Party of Texas since 2004. Over that period our state party has gone from the threat of being eliminated from the ballot to nearly 170 candidates on the ballot, an annual budget of $370,000, paid staff and an office, influence on state policy, and electing Libertarians. I am one of those elected Libertarians, having just completed 2 terms on the Lago Vista city council (www.PatDixon.org
). My past experience as a volunteer, activist, county chair, and candidate have prepared me well for my term as state chair and as an at large representative on the LP national committee for 2 terms.
In those 2 terms on the LP national committee, what have we achieved?
Not enough in my opinion. We have kept out of debt, which is good. We have kept the office open so that state affiliates and inquirers have a place to go. We have managed ballot access drives to support our Libertarian candidates. These are essential, but it is not enough.
Why has the national committee not demonstrated more achievement?
Because the current national committee is more focused on personality conflict than progress.
That is why I established the ACHIEVE slate. Those candidates for our national party that commit to the following principles are members of the ACHIEVE slate:
* I support setting goals supported by the consensus of the committee, informing our membership of our intentions, and reporting our achievements and failures on these efforts
* When a flame war erupts, I am more likely to delete emails than respond to them
* I will treat fellow committee members with due respect and maintain appropriate decorum
* I will not be hyper sensitive, look for reasons to be offended, or seek to adopt a victim status
* I do not feel the LNC is the place to settle radical/reformer or other factional disputes. I do not feel the LNC is a substitute for the platform committee, our candidates, or our affiliates.
* I believe the national party should allow candidates and affiliates reasonable discretion on their messaging of Libertarian principles. The national party will choose its messaging to best support our principles and our affiliates
* I oppose compromising our principles for political gain
I am joined by Region 5N representative Dan Karlan. Dan has been extremely valuable to our national committee with his institutional knowledge coupled with his calm and rational demeanor.
By the time you get to St Louis there may be others joining the ACHIEVE slate. You can keep tabs on the slate by visiting www.PatDixon.org/LNC.html
Our success in Texas is credited to many volunteers, candidates, and donors. However, there is one individual that is more responsible than anyone else in the achievements we have made. That person is Wes Benedict. My first act as chair in Texas was to hire him as our executive director. Wes is now our national executive director and I am hopeful that he will deliver the same kind of results if the national committee lets him. The national committee does have an oversight role for our executive director, but it should not be an environment of micro management. We tell Wes what our goals are and measure achievement, not by dictating how he does his job. I will always favor a competitive job market and if a better person comes along the national committee should act. However, I firmly believe that you will not find a more capable person than Wes to serve at this time. As a delegate you should ask candidates for our national committee how they perceive Wes and how they intend to oversee the operation of the national office.
What can you do?
* Visit the ACHIEVE slate website www.PatDixon.org/LNC.html
and promote it
* Sign the online petition in support of the ACHIEVE slate at www.ipetitions.com/petition/achieve/
* Register for the national convention. The gold package is a good deal and the hotel in St Louis is an excellent venue for our convention. Visit www.gatewaytoliberty.com
* In St Louis, ask candidates for the national committee if they support the ACHIEVE slate and what their impression is of Wes Benedict and staff
* Wear the enclosed sticker in support of the ACHIEVE slate
I look forward to seeing you in St Louis and for a productive next 2 years for our national party. Let’s ACHIEVE!
Yours in Liberty,
Yours in Liberty,
Patrick J Dixon
Libertarian Party National Committee, At-Large member
Chair, Libertarian Party of Texas