The Libertarian Party Platform Committee met today to consider proposed revisions to its December report in light of responses from the Platform survey earlier this year. The changes were as follows, with votes in brackets:
- 1.0 Personal Responsibility — tweaked both the main proposal [13-0] and the alternative (the “pending amendment”) [9-3] to clarify that rights don’t depend on predicting the future.
- 1.6 Self-Defense — dropped two words from this proposed new sentence: “Private property owners should be free to establish their own conditions regarding the possession
or useof personal defense weapons on their own property.” [12-0]
- 2.4 Government Finance and Spending — added the word “eventual” in the proposed plank rewrite, like so: “PlatCom Meeting notes We call for the federal government to be scaled back to its Constitutional limits, which would allow the eventual elimination of income, payroll, and many other taxes.” [11-2] PlatCom also streamlined the laundry list that begins the proposed rewrite. [10-0-1]
- 2.7 Labor Markets — modified its proposed rewrite like so: “Libertarians believe employment and compensation agreements between private employers and employees are outside the province of government, and these private contracts should not be impeded by government-mandated benefits and social engineering requirements. Libertarians believe it is a private matter between employers and employees to negotiate compensation and other terms of employment. The role of government should be limited to enforcing contractual obligations, and it is outside the province of government to mandate benefits or impose social engineering goals.” [14-0]
- 2.7 Labor Markets — further modified its proposed rewrite like so: “we oppose government recognition of public employee unions”. [10-3]
- Without object, made simple grammar fixes to 2.7 and 3.5.
This page shows how all the PlatCom recommendations would change the Platform. The wiki history of that page shows the exact text changes adopted today.