LNC meeting in Phoenix 9/29-30, 2018

Via LP.org:

Who: LNC and some staff. All Libertarian Party members welcome to observe the business meeting.

Live Broadcast: The LNC will attempt to stream the meeting live on the Internet. Be advised that broadcast quality has sometimes been low and intermittent.

Main Broadcast — Channel 1: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/libertarian-party1

Possible Backup Broadcast — Channel 2: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/QhDdfs2AXHZ

Proposed Agenda and Reports

2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Agenda_Proposed
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Awards_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Ballot_Access_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Campus_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Chair_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Financial_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Historic_Preservation_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_International_Rep_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_LNC_Policy_Manual
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Membership_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Staff_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Region_1_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Region_4_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Region_5_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Region_7_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Region_8_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Secretary_Report
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingb_2018_06_20_LNC_ExComm_Meeting_Minutes-approved
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingb_2018_06_30_LNC_Minutes-Final
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingb_2018_Bylaws_and_Convention_Rules_w_2016_JC_Rules
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingb_2018_Convention_Minutes-v1
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingb_2018_LP_Platform
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingb_2018-07-12_EXCOMM-FINAL
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Amend_Employment_Manual
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Amend_Policy_Manual_1.04_special_rules_of_order
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Amend_Policy_Manual_2.02_standing_rules
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Amend_Policy_Manual_2.06_standing_rules
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Amend_Policy_Manual_to_add_2.07_standing_rules
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Capitalization_Threshold
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Create_Committee_Voting_Methods_Conventions
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Create_modified_Youth_Engagement_Committee
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Errata_for_Style_and_Grammar
2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Move_to_schedule_Goals_Meeting

The document below contains many of the reports above, and is the printed document handed out to LNC members at the meeting.

2018-09-29 LNC MEETING GIANT PRINTED HANDOUT

Room Rate: $90 Single or Double includes free wifi in both sleeping & meeting rooms. Additionally they are providing a free hot breakfast buffet included with our room rate. Extra person in room $10 per for 3rd or 4th.

Reservations: Via this link: https://tinyurl.com/LNC-092918 – discount code with auto fill once you enter your dates. Rate available from 09/26-10/03. Or call (602) 244-8800 and ask for the Libertarian Party Room Block Discount code “ZK7”

Parking & Transportation: Complimentary plus there is a free shuttle from/to PHX (Sky Harbor) or anywhere else within a mile or so of the hotel. Call (602) 244-8800 on arrival for pick up. Directions & other info here: https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/phoenix/phxff/hoteldetail/directions

Meeting Time & Location: “Grand Ballroom” on 1st Floor north courtyard area – time TBD (but typically 9 am – 6 pm Sat & 9 am – 3 pm Sun). A light lunch will be served Sat around 12:15pm

Dining: At hotel includes Burger Theory & 44th Street Bistro & Lounge. Within a 2 block walk is a few taco & Mexican places plus pizza

Friday VIP Event:
Meet & Greet on Friday, Sept 28 @ 6:00 PM – Paulsen Residence, 16428 E Kingstree Blvd, Fountain Hills, AZ – Light refreshments will be provided. For more information or to RSVP please email VIP@LP.org – directions: https://tinyurl.com/VIP-092818

Local Area: https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/phoenix/phxff/hoteldetail/local-guide-whats-nearby?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-HI-_-US-_-PHXFF#scmisc=nav_local-guide-whats-nearby_hi

Long link for hotel reservations in case you have issues with the TinyURL:
https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/phoenix/phxff/hoteldetail?qAdlt=1&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv.ul.vn.ki.va.sp.nd.ct&qChld=0&qFRA=1&qGRM=0&qGrpCd=ZK7&qIta=99801505&qPSt=0&qRRSrt=rt&qRef=df&qRms=1&qRpn=1&qRpp=20&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qSrt=sBR&qWch=0&srb_u=1&icdv=99801505&setPMCookies=true

Thanks in advance & please let me know if you have any issues reserving a room or special requests,

Robert

240 thoughts on “LNC meeting in Phoenix 9/29-30, 2018

  1. paulie Post author

    LNC list:

    ” Hello everyone, please use the link below to access a digital LNC
    notebook for your use. In the past we used to have physical binders
    for our use and that was discontinued due to costs. However, I think
    it is useful to have a complete reference binder. This is a new
    protocol I am doing so I appreciate any feedback on how to make this
    more useful. There are few more items I will be adding tonight
    (including Alicia’s feedback on the 7/3 minutes and my response as well
    as a short video to watch in preparation for the OpaVote demo).

    https://1drv.ms/f/s!An_9oojd8WVNfzdIpea9qVsA8Rg

  2. paulie Post author

    IPR list:

    Anyone live logging the LNC meeting

    Caryn Ann Harlos
    Fri, Sep 28, 9:12 PM (6 hours ago)
    — In Liberty, Libertarian Party and Libertarian National Committee Secretary – Caryn.Ann. Harlos@LP.org or Secretary@LP.org. Chair, LP Historical Preservation

    travellingcircus@gmail.com
    3:29 AM (4 minutes ago)
    to iprtwo

    I’ll do as much as I can. Having some computer problems so I can’t guarantee how much I can do. Using headphones seems to kill my laptop lately – I’ve had to take it in for repairs twice in as many weeks and both were precipitated by putting in headphones. I’m at my parents house so they may object to the noise from my laptop without headphones. I’ll try to work around that.

    I would appreciate others helping liveblog, especially if I have technical difficulties. Obviously Caryn Ann will be busy but we have others here who can help with that. The article is already up, feel free to edit – I just copied and pasted the LP.org article and added a Phoenix skyline image.

  3. paulie Post author

    Livestream is up now. I think I was off by an hour because Arizona does not have daylight savings time. I’m used to thinking of AZ as mountain time, but it’s split MT/PAC in practice.

  4. paulie Post author

    Meeting is in order. Thrasher starts public comments, thanks LNC for helping fund LPCT ballot access and mentions ballot access lawsuit settlement and Dan Reale’s template for ballot access field harassment situations.

  5. paulie Post author

    Maine ballot access will be addressed during ballot access report. Special counsels report struck, Oliver Hall traveling overseas and not available.

  6. paulie Post author

    Thanks Thane.

    Daniel Hayes mentions convention committee needs to start working ASAP.

    Mattson, Bishop-Henchman want to have overnight to consider applicants.

  7. paulie Post author

    Hopes a formal communication policy does not become necessary. Would prefer to see policy manual shortened and ask everyone to find things to remove from policy manual. Talks about party successes with conventions, field teams, CRM.

  8. paulie Post author

    Still quite a few absences at this point. Too many for me to keep up with but Joshua Smith was one of them as well as many of the alternates.

  9. paulie Post author

    Redpath is concerned with party balance sheet. Others share concern, particularly as regards to being late in settling with convention hotel and potential difficulties that could cause in negotiating with future convention hotels.

  10. paulie Post author

    Mattson (I think – only listening, not watching): all the old convention minutes are draft unless specifically approved by next convention, 2006 were just marked draft on website. LNC only recently given authority to approve convention minutes,

    2006 minutes approved.

    Independent audit of at large results conducted by Duke Van Horn and Richard Longstreth, only one discrepancy was found.

  11. paulie Post author

    The main question was Mattson results since she won on the cusp and was tallying as outgoing secretary, but no problems/issues found there.

    If I understood correctly 2018 convention minutes now also approved.

  12. paulie Post author

    Mattson challenging Harlos minutes for allegedly including too many extraneous details. Harlos defends her comprehensiveness.

  13. paulie Post author

    Suggestion made that video is a reference instead of minutes. But IIRC the videos are not kept permanently, instead taped over after some months?

  14. paulie Post author

    July EC call minutes approved without objection after removal of one footnote and about half hour of discussion.

    15 minute break.

  15. paulie Post author

    Winger: LP voter registration is at an all time high; legislators in two states now, none from 2002-2015. Best ballot access position at this stage in the 4 year cycle ever. Office well on the way to being paid off. A lot of equity already in the building. Lots of discretionary spending currently.

  16. paulie Post author

    Two staff members now dedicated to campaigns, as opposed to the past when Wes and Carla tried to “squeeze it in” with all the things they do. Pazell out in the field working with potentially winnable local campaigns. Schulz recruiting and training candidates. Increased candidates from 600 to 800.

  17. paulie Post author

    Bob Johnston keeping track of election compliance laws and regulation.

    Staff size has expanded to about twice what it was a decade ago, which Benedict says helps a lot.

  18. Chuck Moulton

    Paulie wrote:

    Mattson challenging Harlos minutes for allegedly including too many extraneous details. Harlos defends her comprehensiveness.

    Paulie wrote:

    Harlos: Some past minutes were more comprehensive also.

    Paulie wrote:

    Mattson amendment fails on 8-8 tie with a rare vote by Sarwark (against).

    Many past secretaries included a lot more detail. For example: Bob Sullentrup, Steve Givot.

    It’s good that Sarwark and the LNC left Harlos the discretion to do her job effectively.

  19. paulie Post author

    Benedict: output, productivity per dollar spent compares favorably with major parties and nonpartisan libertarian organizations. Good deal on new LP.org vendor. Database upgrade was a good deal.

  20. paulie Post author

    Who voted with Mattson to obfuscate the minutes?

    Hand vote and I was only listening so I did not see, which with the angle of the camera I probably would have missed most of them anyway.

  21. paulie Post author

    If you think so, the FEC has a path for dealing with this.

    That was mentioned during the discussion, and it was said that FEC has not been very good on this but we are going thru courts as well.

  22. Chuck Moulton

    Who will the next ED be?

    I wonder if it will be Evan McMahon given the timing. He will be the chair’s campaign manager through election day and several people have been promoting him as a possible ED for a long time.

  23. Chuck Moulton

    Sarwark is suggesting Lauren Daugherty as acting ED while searching for a new one.

    In my opinion Kraus would be a more logical choice, as he served in that role before and is local to LPHQ. The main problem with Daugherty is she is in Texas. Oh well. I hope it works out.

  24. paulie Post author

    Daugherty: Fundraising very strong compared with other recent years. 2018 convention raised more money than 2016, the previous record, especially impressive since non-presidential year. Record for recent years in fundraising for Q1 and Q2 of 2018 except for 2016 presidential year.

    Moving on to more thanking of donors and major donor cultivation.

  25. paulie Post author

    In my opinion Kraus would be a more logical choice, as he served in that role before and is local to LPHQ. The main problem with Daugherty is she is in Texas. Oh well. I hope it works out.

    He did say she will be in DC more, but you are correct.

  26. JT

    Andy Jacobs would be the obvious choice for Executive Director. Ryan Ramsey would also be an excellent candidate. As would Joshua Smith, if he is willing to give up his LNC seat. I think Christopher Cantwell might even be willing to consider it if we ask him nicely. Unfortunately, I think we have missed the boat on persuading Augustus Invictus to consider it, as we have lost him to the GOP.

  27. Chuck Moulton

    The presentation seems to be about not saying the word “libertarian” to trick people into looking for more information on us, then slap them with the word. But I’ve been tuning in and out.

  28. Chuck Moulton

    Basically he has trademarked “What the L?” accompanied with a website and wants to license it to the LP. It seems especially ridiculous since there is a book called “What the L?” published in 2010.

  29. paulie Post author

    Redpath nominates Julie Fox for Audit committee. Sarwark read a long list, which I think was also people who expressed interest in being on Audit Committee.

  30. paulie Post author

    Non officer LNC members will vote for up to 2 people for Audit Committee. Ballots due in the morning. Omar Recuero and Julie Fox sound like they have some support.

  31. paulie Post author

    Debate over whether alternates are members of LNC for the purpose of committee nominations. Sarwark rules yes, Mattson appeals. How is this still a question? Haven’t we had alternates for decades with many serving on lots of such committees?

  32. paulie Post author

    LPME asking for 5k after spending their own 1 k to get 1500 regs at $4 each, Winger believes it would help case a lot to get these additional regs.

  33. Matt Cholko

    I will be writing and calling the whole LNC, urging them to dedicate $800k to the “What the L” campaign. It is such a great idea, that I think it deserves double funding. This is our moment, things are different now, the people are fed up with the Rs and Rs, etc, etc, etc. Clearly, it is going to work.

  34. William t. Forrest

    Holy fuck cholko I hope you are being sarcastic. I have a bridge to sell lnc for only 200k but I do require a wire transfer to my Nigerian bank.

  35. paulie Post author

    Concerns expressed that the regs will get purged and that Maine has not done enough on their own. Maine (Chris Lyons) counters that LNC has done more from other states. Thrasher also brings up ME requirement about town caucuses.

  36. William t. Forrest

    I just trade marked holding a finger and thumb in the shape of an l on forehead and will through that in no charge if the 200k is wired to my bank in the next 30 minutes.

  37. paulie Post author

    Candidate support committee is next. They have not changed their rules on recommendations for considering candidates for financial support.

  38. paulie Post author

    Not recommending financial support for candidates at this time due to financial condition of party. Hewitt tops list of those they would ask to help if the party was more in the black.

  39. William T. Forrest

    “Isn’t that what you get when you cross an elephant and a RINO?”

    Just slap an orange wig on it and it could be Donnie Trump.

  40. Paul

    Welp, I once said I would never again donate to the LP so long as it went to Wes’s salary. I’m thinking I still won’t.

  41. William T. Forrest

    I’ve made an appointment to get “What the L” branded on my ass. They told me it would cost 400k but it’s totally worth it.

  42. William T. Forrest

    I think the what the L dude must be reading these comments, he just said he was being tongue in cheek.

  43. Richard Winger

    I’m sorry that LNC members seem to assume our Libertarian registrants will be purged. Five federal courts have ruled that voters have a right to register into unqualified parties, if those parties are active. We probably could win such a case in Maine if we just try, but the case would be stronger if our registration had increased during 2018 instead of just being mostly static.

  44. paulie Post author

    14-1 to move ahead on What the L but no money at this point, putting together formal proposal for the next meeting.

    Historical Preservation Committee is next.

  45. William T. Forrest

    Bad news. My acquaintance in the Falange Party says if the LP goes ahead on What the L campaign they will sue for copyright infringement due to their upcoming What the F campaign. It seems that they just put most of their treasury into that so they are hopping mad.

  46. George Phillies

    “Sarwark is suggesting Lauren Daugherty as acting ED while searching for a new one.”

    Sorry to see that Wes is leaving. Lauren is a sensible choice for ED, in my opinion. Robert Kraus already has a more-than-full-time job.

  47. paulie Post author

    Lauren would be great, but I think she wants to stay based in Texas. If she changes her mind about that that obviously would no longer be a problem, but my understanding is that while she will be in DC area more as interim ED she is not planning to relocate there at this time. I don’t know if she is interested in applying for it beyond interim or relocating in that case. Hopefully she is able to be in the area enough as interim ED for that to not be a major issue.

  48. paulie Post author

    Thanks for covering the meeting, Paulie!

    You’re welcome, and thank you as well. Thank you everyone for reading and commenting, and lurkers please drop at least a comment or two to let us know you are here as that helps with motivation. Feel free to jump in, the water is fine. I will keep trying to liveblog today but may have technical difficulties so would welcome any help anyone can provide with that.

  49. paulie Post author

    Bad news. My acquaintance in the Falange Party says if the LP goes ahead on What the L campaign they will sue for copyright infringement due to their upcoming What the F campaign. It seems that they just put most of their treasury into that so they are hopping mad.

    Isn’t the “American” “Freedom” Party also planning a similar WTAF campaign?

    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=WTAF

  50. Thomas L. Knapp

    As long as Robert Kraus has been there and as hard as he works, I do hope that he was at least asked about his interest in the job before looking at other candidates. It may be that he just doesn’t see the executive director role as what he’d be best at or wants to do.

  51. George Phillies

    And in this intermission, a thought on understanding where we are politically:

    Readers looking for an understanding of the current political situation and historical precedents would usefully read two books. The first volume is Asymmetric Politics by Grossman and Hopkins on why the Republican and Democratic Parties are so different. The key difference identified by the volume may be a bit challenging for conservatives or liberals to accept, but the volume is really well written. The difference also tends to explain why some Europeans are a bit unclear on how American politics works, a difference I first encountered in 1970 when a large antiwar demonstration marched by, to be ignored by students doing other things, and the nice European student couldn’t understand –he was accustomed to political parties that sorted by class–why the students doing other things were not joining the demo. American politics are qualitatively different.

    The second volume is Potter’s The Impending Crisis on American politics of 1845-1860 What happened in that period? First, the Democratic Republicans and the Whigs had each had a northern and a southern wing, which moderated each other, so that unionism was the strong political theme. As time advanced, the northern Democrats and the southern Whigs both faded, so the parties (with Free-Soilers, etc. replacing the failing Whigs) each became geographical and supported geographical interests more and more firmly. Then, between Uncle Tom’s Cabin (there were some other period books, perhaps as influential, now forgotten) and the John Brown Raid, the two regions became ‘southerners are depraved’ and ‘northerners are planing to kill us’, and matters went to Hell in a handbasket from there.

    The modern change is a bit different. Return to 1970 and Foner’s volume on the Republican Party’s ideology in the 1850s, its great stress on Free Labor. Buried in there is the exotic sentence, already dated, that modern political parties are explicitly non-ideological. Remember, in 1960 the Democrats were the party of Strom Thurmond as well as JFK, while the Republicans were the party of Nelson Rockefeller as well as Barry Goldwater. Each party had a strong conservative and a strong liberal wing, and each party needed both to be effective.

    We then had an ideological sort, not primarily* a geographic sort, the Republican party becoming more conservative and the Democratic Party becoming more liberal, and in addition (the following is hard to follow if you have not read Asymmetric Politics) the Republican Party becoming more ‘we are here to better the country’ and the Democratic Party becoming more ‘vote for your interest’. (I anticipate many people are not going to follow that correctly.) And now we have the two sides not only disagreeing with each other but vitriolically hating each other.

    *Primarily. Note Sean Trende’s analysis at RealClearPolitics.com. Clinton in aggregate carried huge cities by a lot and cities over a million by some, while Republicans carried cities of under a million, and down to rural areas, these being continuations of trends that started under President Clinton. As a result, a majority of Americans live in places that one party or the other carreid by 20 or 40 points, and vast numbers of people now think it is important that their children not marry someone oft eh other political party.

  52. paulie Post author

    https://www.facebook.com/LibertyCoalitionDR/

    Liberty Coalition for Disaster Relief
    September 27 at 1:30 PM ·

    The Liberty Coalition for Disaster Relief and the Cajun Navy, both grassroots disaster response organizations, are teaming up to bring much needed relief to North Carolinians effected by Hurricane Florence. A supply distribution center has been set up at 320 Military Cutoff Rd. in Wilmington and boats and helicopters are working to distribute donations to those in need.

    “We are airlifting and boating supplies to shelters daily.” said Tom Bever, United Cajun Navy Organizer. “From there, we are working with Search and Rescue to get supplies to people who can’t make it to shelters.”

    Supplies and volunteers are running low and help is needed to keep things running. Volunteers can organize donation drives in their own communities and contact local trucking companies or Liberty Coalition for Disaster Relief to help organize shipments. Cashwell Appliance Parts, in Virginia as well as North and South Carolina, are also currently accepting donations to be shipped to staging areas.

    “Florence victims just aren’t getting the attention they might in other disasters. The storm losing some steam before it hit seems to have given people the feeling that it wasn’t as bad as it was. People are still flooded out. People have lost everything. They’re hungry. They’re in need of supplies. We need volunteers.” said, LCDR Founder, Brent DeRidder.

    Non-perishable foods, water, medical and hygiene items, cleaning supplies, and baby items are all items in high demand. Currently, shelters seem to be stocked up on clothing items. Volunteers can also sign up on LCDR’s open google doc on their facebook at http://www.facebook.com/LibertyCoalitionDR or by contacting them at LC4DRVolunteers@gmail.com

  53. paulie Post author

    Bishop-Henchman moved to clarify the membership creation committee motion to say it was the LNC Chair that is one the determines data giving. Seconded. Passed without objection.

  54. paulie Post author

    Previous Secretary’s notes:

    WHAT TIME DID WE CALL TO ORDER? (check video)

    Public comment (summarize from recording if this is something we are going to do).

    Amendments to agenda passed (see highlights in tab and notes).

    Redpath/Mattson both discussed the numerous applications.

    Candidate Support has a short list for recommendations.

    Committees will be taken one by one and votes may be postponed.

    Agenda adopted without objection.

    Redpath submitted updates to conflicts.

    Chair supplemented his report with his campaign activities which has taken. He went over how he expects the LNC to run – discourages factionalism. Discussed email issues with tone. Nature of emails – said his preference for less emails – and analogized it to in-person meetings. Looking forward to very productive term. He further spoke about issues with debate inclusion criteria.

    Absent: Nanna, Bowden, Hogarth, Adams, Smith, O’Donnell, Anderson

    Lyons sat in as primary for O’Donnell

    Paige-Lee was present in gallery

    Olsen was present in gallery

    Merced spoke about his goals and why he did a report. Reaching out to orphaned states.

    Sarwark passed gavel to Merced.

    Hagan report. $408K income including pledges/ $273,500 in convention expenses.

    Hagan moved: to amend the Policy Manual Section 2.03, Subsection 6, Fixed Assets, by adding two paragraphs to the beginning of the subsection:

    A fixed asset is defined as a unit of property or equipment that: (1) has an economic useful life that extends beyond 12 months and (2) was acquired or produced for a cost of $2,500 or more. Fixed assets must be capitalized and depreciated for financial statement purposes.

    The threshold amount for minimum capitalization is $2,500. Any items costing below this amount should be expensed in the financial statements.

    Nekhaila seconded.

    Mattson moved to amend $2,500 to $1,000 in both places (seconded).

    Bishop-Henchman objected and gave argument. Mattson amendment failed by voice vote.

    Hagan motion passed without objection. 180929-1

    Sarwark resumed the gavel.

    Still in the hole when we factor in monies owed to the Hyatt. Mattson discussed new accounting standards and timesheets.

    Bishop-Henchman moved to extend for five minutes without objection. FASBY(?) compliant for next meeting.

    Goldstein moved to approve the 2006 convention minutes. Passed without objection.

    Mattson moved to approve the 2016 convention minutes with the proviso that yesterday’s audit results of Buchman –1 and Henchman +1 be included.

    Harlos moved to approve the 7/3/18 minutes.

    Mattson moved to amend –

    <>

    The motion failed (tied) upon a show of hands

    There was no objection to removing footnote 7 (Nick noted that it is Henchman not Henchmen). Approval of the 7/3/18 passed without objection.

    Redpath asked for recess – without objection from 10:36-10:50 – called back order.

    Staff report. Wes noted that he will be leaving around election day.

    Lark asked for us to acknowledge Wes’ contribution and was presented with a plaque.

    Daughtery – data tool expired – Van Horn asked for an explanation via email for her future request. There was no objection to extending time just to hear her question.

    Koerner presentation – lunch moved forward. Out for lunch 12:15

    1:18 back in order

    Longstreth, Bishop-Henchman nominated

    Bilyeu spoke to it

    APRC vote – Longstreth (12) Bishop-Henchman (4)

    Choose only two for ballot – PRINT PROPER BALLOTS – BALLOTS TO BE TURNED IN AT 9:30

    1:38 – BREAK UNTIL 1:53

    EVH nominated Richard Longstreth and Whitney Bilyeu nominated Erin Adams

    Chair ruled nomination of Adams in order – Mattson appealed

    Without objection extend for five minutes

    Erin Adams, Pat Ford, David Demarest

    Adams – 7

    Longstreth – 5

    Adams is elected

    Ballot Access report – Redpath

    Spoke about Maine – Sarwark clarified the history

    Redpath moved to extend for five minutes, without objection

    Redpath: Moved that the LNC encumber $5,000 for a Maine resignation drive contingent on the Libertarian Party of Maine spending $1,000 towards the drive initially.

    Bishop-Henchman seconded.

    180929-3 FAILED 6-9-0

    Goldstein moved to extend for 15 minutes, seconded, without objection.

    Goldstein moved to appoint the LNC members of the Convention Oversight Committee – seconded.

    Whitney Bilyeu – SAM

    Alicia Mattson – SAM

    Erin Adams – WHITNEY

    Sam Goldstein – ALICIA

    BISHOP-HENCHMAN ACCEPT BY ACCLAMATION (SECONDED)

    Thanked Daniel

    Thanked “pie in the face” volunteers

    Candidate Support Committee met this morning and will be submitting report to Secretary.

    IT Committee – two LNC members deferred to tomorrow

    Results

    Mattson 8

    Henchman 11

    Lark 15

    Redpath 12

    Redpath moved to suspend the rules 20 Minutes to discuss Koerner presentation immediately following our next recess. Second. Passed by show of hands.

    Move to recess to 4:05 – Came back in session

    Redpath spoke on issues…

    Redpath to extend for five minutes – without objection.

    Goldstein moved that it is the sense of the LNC that we are interesting in pursuing an agreement with Mr. Koerner for his marketing plan on favourable terms for both parties over the next two months leading up to at the December movement.

    See notes for Blockchain and Youth Engagement Committees.

    Creation of Membership Committee.

    Hewitt moved to adjourn. 5:43.

    WILL CREATE MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE APPLICATION

    RECONVENE TOMORROW AT 9:00 AND SECONDED

    9:04 BACK IN ORDER Richard is recording for me until I get my phone.

  55. Daniel Hayes

    Paulie you are fired. I walked in at 9:25ish and they were voting on something related to the make believe JC and I came here to see what I missed and what dumb vote related to that cluster was taken and you have no info for me…Booo.

  56. paulie Post author

    Honestly my attention is drifting at this point, I could use some help here.

    Did you read the Harlos notes I copied here? I think she covers a lot of what I missed.

  57. paulie Post author

    D Frank Robinson

    Watching LNC livestream. Judicial Committee confirmed as “acting” pending action by the 2020 Convention.

    The 2020 Convention can ratify the selection of the Top Seven in 2018 to continue for their full four year terms as per Bylaws, OR, the 2020 Convention can replace any or all members of the JC if they deem a purge in order.

    I see a Bylaws issue: Since the four year term amendment of the Bylaws, it would seem that removal of the Top Seven selected in 2018 would have to be removed by a two-thirds vote since it is tantamount to amending the Bylaws back to a two year term.

    Members on the sitting JC who do not wish to serve beyond 2020 can resign and allow the convention to fill those vacancies. Unless health issues arise, I will not resign from the JC in 2020. The Convention can vote me off if they so vote. The JC may have to rule on our conflict of interest at the convention, but I would not recuse myself.

  58. George Phillies

    I confirmed from FEC reports that as of the end of August (the September FEC report) we still had not paid the hotel completely, and at best marginally had enough money to cover that and the bill from an audiovisual committee. Supposedly the convention did very well on fundraising. This combination does not speak well to management of something.

    In the immortal words of Lee Wrights ‘you make a promise, you keep the promise.’ He was referring to Social Security, but hotel bills are equally covered.

  59. paulie Post author

    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Awards_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Ballot_Access_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Campus_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Chair_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Financial_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Historic_Preservation_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_International_Rep_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_LNC_Policy_Manual
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Membership_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Staff_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Region_1_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Region_2_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Region_3_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Region_4_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Region_5_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Region_6_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Region_7_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Region_8_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Secretary_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meeting_Vice_Chair_Report
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingb_2018_06_20_LNC_ExComm_Meeting_Minutes-approved
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingb_2018_06_30_LNC_Minutes-Final
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingb_2018_Bylaws_and_Convention_Rules_w_2016_JC_Rules
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingb_2018_Convention_Minutes-v1
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingb_2018_LP_Platform
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingb_2018-07-12_EXCOMM-FINAL
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Amend_Employment_Manual
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Amend_Policy_Manual_1.04_special_rules_of_order
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Amend_Policy_Manual_2.02_standing_rules
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Amend_Policy_Manual_2.06_standing_rules
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Amend_Policy_Manual_to_add_2.07_standing_rules
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Capitalization_Threshold
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Create_Committee_Voting_Methods_Conventions
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Create_modified_Youth_Engagement_Committee
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Errata_for_Style_and_Grammar
    2018-09-29_LNC_Meetingc_Move_to_schedule_Goals_Meeting

  60. paulie Post author

    DC: LP likely to retain ballot status; Republicans may lose theirs.

    VA: LP is the first alt party to run back to back for Sen and Gov since mid-20th century. Redpath believes US Sen candidate has chance at 10%.

    ND: Party has gone off the radar.

    IL: AG candidate may have a shot at 5%, per Bill Redpath.

  61. paulie Post author

    IA: Used debate exclusion to get coverage from other media outlets.

    IL: Gov candidate has women flashing tits to help get him votes, while holding up signs.

  62. paulie Post author

    No one called but I just woke up again. Can anyone fill in what I missed or what we are on now? Apparently something in the employment manual.

  63. paulie Post author

    There’s a second ballot for youth committee. Still missing a lot between my attention wondering and the sound cutting in and out.

  64. paulie Post author

    Goals discussion is last item on agenda. Lark suggest having it as an informal discussion after public comments and formal adjournment.

  65. paulie Post author

    lnc-votes@hq.lp.org via googlegroups.com
    3:27 PM (45 minutes ago)
    to LNC-Business, Joe

    I didn’t want to take time at the meeting to say this but I apologize
    for running out the door at 1:45. Unfortunately I have to be in Baton
    Rouge by this evening due to a work obligation.

    I chatted with Ms. Lee to express my hope that she and the other members
    of the Youth Engagement Committee reach out to the candidates not
    selected with the goal of keeping them engaged with the Party, national
    and state, however they can. I’m excited at how many applicants we
    received – many bright excited future leaders who have self-selected for
    greater involvement.

    JBH

    ————
    Joe Bishop-Henchman
    LNC Member (At-Large)
    joe.bishop-henchman@lp.org
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/189510455174837

  66. paulie Post author

    Kraus: Visit to hotel in Baltimore after December budget meeting. Says it’s the only affordable hotel in the Northeast US.

  67. paulie Post author

    Joshua Smith
    Yesterday at 2:32 PM ·
    For those of you who are not aware. I had to miss the LNC meeting this weekend. I know this will validate a lot of the haters, and thats ok. Up until last week, I was still trying to make it, but I just had way to much personal stuff to deal with. The unexpected move back home came at one of the most inconvenient times in my life, and I’m basically starting over. I’m sad that I had to miss it. That was never the plan, but I have to care for myself first.

    I’ll be in DC in December. I promise.

  68. Thomas L. Knapp

    “Visit to hotel in Baltimore after December budget meeting. Says it’s the only affordable hotel in the Northeast US.”

    Baltimore is in the Mid-Atlantic, not the Northeast.

    The Northeast would be NYC, Boston, Philly, Manchester, Burlington, New Haven, Providence …

  69. William T. Forrest

    Boswash corridor = northeast by some definitions. Philadelphia and even NYC are Mid Atlantic by some others.

  70. Michael Wilson

    Any information on what Mr. Koerner marketing plan is about, or what is in it?

  71. George Phillies

    The northeast is the acela corridor, Floridians notwithstanding.

    Anarchy is an opposite of liberty.

  72. Seebeck

    creation of convention voting procedure committee.

    What in the world is that, if it's not an attempt to bypass the Bylaws and Rules, which set the convention voting procedures?

    I need to get put onto the Bylaws Committee to start fixing theses messes…

  73. paulie Post author

    Alex Merced – Vice Chair of the Libertarian National Committee

    Summary of the #LNCPHOENIX meeting

    – Audit Committee populated

    – Membership Committee Created

    – Blockchain Committee Population begun

    – IT Committee LNC members populated

    – Youth Committee populated

    – Several clean ups in policy manual

    – Page to be created on the website to be one stop shop to contact your state Chair, regional rep, or entire LNC

    – We need more members, tell your friends to go to LP.org/Alex and join!

    – Voting Committee Created

    – Wes Benedict to step down as LP executive director after 21 years of service (thank you for all you’ve done)

    – Donation and memberships over the next few months will play a role in our December budget meeting where we will make decisions such as growing staff possibly and engaging in marketing campaign with involvement from Robin Koerner. So the more monthly pledges, the more new members, the more ambitious we can be in 2019/2020.

    Alex may be a bit confused. Wes was not ED for 21 years, I think maybe he has been a party member for 21 years? Wes was ED since 2009 (I saw him on his way up to DC from Texas, as I was working in WV at the time) and took one other break from that in the early 2010s when he moved to Louisiana, then back to NoVA/DC.

  74. paulie Post author

    Any information on what Mr. Koerner marketing plan is about, or what is in it?

    As far as I know it’s brought to you by the letter “L.”

  75. paulie Post author

    The northeast is the acela corridor, Floridians notwithstanding.

    I think most people nowadays see it that way. It’s legitimately arguable.

    Anarchy is an opposite of liberty.

    Incorrect, and non-sequitur. What does this have to do with this thread?

  76. paulie Post author

    I need to get put onto the Bylaws Committee to start fixing theses messes…

    You probably know this, but there is now a uniform committee application form.

  77. paulie Post author

    Joe Bishop-Henchman shared a post.
    20 hrs
    Long thread on everything we voted on and discussed at the LNC meeting at my page (https://m.facebook.com/groups/189510455174837?view=permalink&id=302959347163280)

    But since people keep asking on the Youth Engagement Committee, the selected members were Victoria Paige Lee, Aeris Stewart, Matt Long, Dustin Nanna, and Matt Geiger. Congrats to them!

    To those who didn’t make it, know that it was enormously competitive – 40+ applicants for 5 spots – and we are actually barred from making it a larger committee as we might have wished to. We want to keep you involved and hope to connect you more with both the national party and your state party.

  78. paulie Post author

    Reviewing that JBH comment thread on FB. It fills in a lot of the gaps in my coverage here from times when I drifted off listening to the ustream.

  79. paulie Post author

    Joe Bishop-Henchman Main recap (thanks to Stephen Babka summarizing my summary)

    Affiliate Support Committee has named 3 of its 7 members, those named by the LSLA: Erin Adams (OK), Pat Ford (RI), David Demarest (NE). Other four to be named later.

    Erin Adams elected as LNC member of Audit Committee, 2 non-LNC members will be Julie Fox and Richard Bowen

    Four LNC members of the Convention Oversight Committee: Bilyeu, Mattson, Goldstein, Adams

    Three members of the Employment Policy & Compensation Committee: Redpath, Lark, Bishop-Henchman

    3 LNC members of the Blockchain Committee: Merced, Nekhaila, Van Horn. Merced is interim chair.

  80. Chuck Moulton

    Unfortunate about the Youth Committee. I wrote up an endorsement email to send the LNC last week, but decided not to send it because the LNC is probably getting tired of hearing from me so much. I guess I should have sent it. 🙁

    It’s unfortunate the applications are not public. We have no idea whether the appointments were good decisions or bad decisions without that information.

  81. Pingback: Robin Koerner: ‘4 Political Principles Libertarians Should Start Paying Attention To’ | Independent Political Report

  82. paulie Post author

    John Phillips -The Unlabeled Libertarian

    My thoughts after the LNC meeting:

    We have a metric s**t ton of great, talented people in the party. If you didn’t get selected for a committee, step up to help the people that did. So many amazing applications were received, if we could we would have picked all of you. You can still contribute, which will help you earn the next spot.

    If you have an idea to help our common cause in your area of expertise, reach out to your reps, we need to hear them. We want to hear them. PLEASE bring them to us. I would absolutely LOVE to see competing ideas for things and have to choose the best one. As long as you can be cool if we don’t pick yours.

    Here is some input on those ideas;

    1. ASK. We are all volunteers with multiple commitments. We are not going to come to you looking for an idea we haven’t thought of, that is not possible. Ask us if you can show us your idea. I have made myself very approachable, as have my fellow LNC reps and the officers. We are busy, but we are accessible. We don’t have time to do an open call like American Idol, but if you ask we can often schedule time.

    2. Have them fleshed out before you present them. Example – don’t come say we need to improve marketing, come with a plan to do it. We had one plan presented this weekend, I would love to see more, but if you come with a vague, nebulous plan you won’t get traction or a receptive audience.

    3. Be positive in your approach and presentation. We are not likely to respond well to negativity. Even if your idea is that we are doing something wrong, approach it with “here is how it can be better”, that will get you a more positive reception.

    4. Be aware of costs and budgeting. Some ideas are well beyond our means. Would we love to have national prime time ads? Of course we would. Do you have the millions that would take? If you do CALL ME! I’ll get you in immediately. We’ll need to check legalities, but I’m sure we can find a way ;).

    5. Have clear, realistic, acheivable goals with your idea. “I think we can get a 20% increase in LP store sales over the next 2 years if we offer X” might fit. “I think we can increase LP store sales 400% in 2 months while charging twice as much” is clear, but not realistic or acheivable.

    6. Be prepared for constructive criticism, input of information you might not be aware of, and questions.

    7. Know the legalities. Yes we are Libertarians. We still need to stay within the laws until we can get them removed. Copyrights, trademarks, election rules, whatever applies to your idea have a good idea of the legalities.

    8. Ask! Yes I repeated that intentionally. Ask nicely, ask reasonably, be prepared when you ask, but ASK.

    John

  83. Caryn Ann Harlos

    Draft minutes will be done shortly.

    The vote on the prior minutes was crucual as it was basically trying to force me to be Mattson. We have different styles – one is not right or wrong. It struck me as trying to undermine my election by the delegates – there was in legitimate item and I agreed to that edit – the rest was the prior Secretary micro-managing me.

    It was a hand raise vote but clearly and disappointingly factional. With my minutes being approved I hope this type of gamesmanship is over on this issue. It would be like me trying to tell Richard how to do his job as Region 1 publicly in front of everyone. That’s no longer my job and he is competent and not required to be my clone.

    It was a very uncomfortable and disappointing position to be in but it came out in my favour. I’m very grateful to Nick for that.

    I fully intend to keep noting gallery attendees and briefly note their concerns.

  84. paulie Post author

    Caryn Ann,

    Agreed on all counts there. Thank you!

    ICYMI I sent you an email which pointed back here; please feel free to share it with LNC so the rest of them can come by here if they get a chance to add their thoughts, additions and corrections. Text of email was:

    travellingcircus@gmail.com
    Mon, Oct 1, 11:57 AM (15 hours ago)
    to Caryn.Ann.Harlos@LP.org, iprtwo

    One Note was helpful but took me a while to figure out and I’m not sure I have figured out all the features yet. Maybe one of your tutorials would help people?

    I did my usual liveblogging thing and there are the archived videos. If anyone wants to add and correct the IPR thread additional input is still welcome, including if anyone who was too busy participating in the meeting itself wants to look at it now that it’s over.

    https://independentpoliticalreport.com/2018/09/lnc-meeting-in-phoenix-9-29-30-2018/

    Paulie 205-534-1622 cell, call or text anytime

    On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:13 AM wrote:
    I experimented with multiple things this meeting to facilitate the
    meeting including the One Note notebook for which I got some amazing
    feedback from watching members who said they really now felt like they
    could follow along. At the beginning only two people were viewing and
    by the end it was over thirty. I wish OneNote had more nesting levels
    than one which would be amazing and I’m going to search for one that
    does. Evernote was a complete fail as it wouldn’t do half of what I
    needed.

    I would like suggestions on how to make this even better. I have a few
    of my own now after trying this out.

    I’m not sure if you were also aware that you could watch the vote
    tallies live as well so if you were near the end of the vote you could
    see immediately what the vote was (the excel sheet used formulas to
    update, no counting needed). I think I will do something similar with
    my sketch notes rather than typing in the One Note document though
    Richard’s POO was amusing.

    I hope we will considering using OpaVote for quicker votes with no
    tellers needed that gives immediate data and using RCV more often as
    the calculation hurdle would be solved.

    Otherwise I will always try to print ballots – I can bring the printer
    to the meeting room to facilitate that.

    I was also toying around with the idea of asking an alternate who
    regularly attends (or a member willing to attend) to be a secretary’s
    assistant who could also help with the video streaming since Wes will
    be leaving. Thoughts on that?

    And I’m definitely going to print out and distribute updated agendas as
    they happen.

    The One Note notebook can be done further ahead and posted on the
    meeting announcement so staff doesn’t have to continuously post
    reports, I can just add to notebook which I’ll keep in perpetuity and
    also archive to LPedia.

    For committee apps rather than a huge pdf I can also do those as a
    confidential One Note notebook. Right now information is scattered in
    too many places. It would help if everyone brought a notebook or
    tablet to use technology to reduce paperwork and centralize documents.

    In Liberty,
    [uc?id=1DeRjq-L8dvRZabgEG94VkkUvjoHatcfP&export=download]
    Libertarian Party and Libertarian National Committee Secretary
    – [1]Caryn.Ann. Harlos@LP.org or Secretary@LP.org.
    Chair, LP Historical Preservation Committee – LPedia@LP.org
    Call me at 561.523.2250 and follow my public figure page
    at [2]facebook.com/pinkflameofliberty/
    =======================================================================
    ==
    Peaceful Commerce With All Nations * Non-interventionism * Re-Legalize
    All Drugs * End Government Intrusion In The Bedroom * Repeal All Gun
    Laws * Abolish All Taxation * Sound, Free-market Money * Abolish The
    Fed * End Corporate & Individual Welfare * Abolish The IRS and Repeal
    the Income Tax * Privatize Transportation Infrastructure * Free-market
    Emergency Services * Open Migration * Transfer Government Schools To
    The Private Sector * Eliminate Regulation *
    VOTE LIBERTARIAN * 800-ELECT-US or [3]http://www.LP.org
    =======================================================================
    ==

    References

    1. mailto:Caryn.Ann.Harlos@LP.org
    2. http://facebook.com/pinkflameofliberty/
    3. http://www.lp.org/

  85. paulie Post author

    Caryn Ann Harlos
    October 2 at 7:10 AM

    HELP NEEDED! We are nearing the end of the budget year and need to raise enough to cover the historical preservation costs. We have raised about $1,500 and need to raise about $3,000 to be even. If we don’t – there is a chance we will not be funded next year. It is important that those who care about this project fund it so that it does not come out of the general budget. For gifts of $50 or more I have a free t-shirt for you while supplies last.

    Please be generous, this committee always has to fight for its existence.

    https://www.lp.org/preservation/
    Preservation of Libertarian Party History | Libertarian Party

  86. paulie Post author

    On email list, LNC is now discussing scheduling a goal-setting electronic meeting. Caryn Ann seems to have become enamored of making pushing for alternative voting methods a major focus of the LP along with ballot access and running candidates. I tend to disagree, because I think a single issue coalition group is more effective at pushing for that. The LP can join such coalitions, and should, but the major focuses of the LP should be to do things that only the LP as a political party can do. Everything else can and should be spearheaded by other organizations since there are significant disadvantages to a political party organizational model, meaning that it should specialize in what only a party can do and channel other activities through other organizations that don’t face those particular challenges.

  87. paulie Post author

    Goal-setting is probably needed but needs to be done better than in the past. From what I have observed the last few terms there has been little in the way of follow-up to goal setting and making sure that once goals are selected that concrete steps are made to implement them and progress constantly tracked and reported on. We had a whole separate email list create for the goal setting/SWOT discussions when I was on LNC in 2012-4 and from what I remember a lot more time and effort was spent on that than any concrete results I recall it producing. I seem to recall the same when is was tried on LPAlabama exec comm the times I have been on that. There was a whole 200-something page book of goals that the LNC produced in the late 1990s/early 2000s and as far as I know very little was done with after it came out.

    I seem to remember Michael Wilson quipping that SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) should instead be decoded as “stop wasting our time.” He may be right, and certainly is if followup is not adequate.

  88. paulie Post author

    Greetings,

    Please see attached the Special Counsel’s report for the third quarter
    of 2018.

    My apologies for being unavailable to present this report to the
    committee over the past weekend; I was traveling abroad.

    Should committee members have questions or concerns, please contact me
    directly via email or at the phone number below.

    Thankyou,

    Oliver


    Oliver B. Hall
    Special Counsel
    Libertarian National Committee
    617-953-0161

    http://hq.lp.org/pipermail/lnc-business/attachments/20181002/b0470b33/attachment-0001.pdf

  89. Caryn Ann Harlos

    Paulie my post said as part of a coalition. After fifty years what we are doing isn’t enough and we can’t blame it all on the schizophrenic back and forth on principles.

  90. Seebeck

    You probably know this, but there is now a uniform committee application form.

    They’re not taking applications for Bylaws and Platform yet, AFAIK.

  91. George Phillies

    Mindful of today’s assassination attempts on the President, the Secretary of Defense, the Chief of Naval Operations, and Senator Cruz, the last-mentioned of these sending two people to the hospital, the mode of attack being ricin powder, readers who are especially politically prominent might consider a need for safety precautions.

  92. Jim

    The Ted Cruz thing turned out to be non-hazardous. The two people in his office went to the hospital as a precaution.

    It’s a little early for that stuff. If Bush were still in office the Terror Scare would have been closer to the election.

  93. paulie Post author

    Paulie my post said as part of a coalition. After fifty years what we are doing isn’t enough and we can’t blame it all on the schizophrenic back and forth on principles.

    I know Bill is on the FairVote board, so I’m sure he will work with you on that if he is not doing so already. I’m actually pretty encouraged that Jess and Cara are finally emphasizing real world nuts and bolts politics like phonebanking and door to door campaigning. Just like a real political party. I haven’t seen this much talk about things like that in the LP in the quarter century or so that I have been involved.

  94. paulie Post author

    They’re not taking applications for Bylaws and Platform yet, AFAIK.

    I don’t remember seeing an announcement for that yet either.

  95. Michael Wilson

    “I’m actually pretty encouraged that Jess and Cara are finally emphasizing real world nuts and bolts politics like phonebanking and door to door campaigning. Just like a real political party. I haven’t seen this much talk about things like that in the LP in the quarter century or so that I have been involved.”

    Damn straight. Best thing in years.

  96. paulie Post author

    Joe Bishop-Henchman
    October 1 at 5:11 PM
    Sherlock Holmes once solved a mystery by realizing the dog *didn’t* bark. This past weekend, we had an LNC meeting without drama, in the room or on Facebook. Since everyone gets it inflicted upon them when we’re being dysfunctional, I wanted to post this to let everyone know that we hunkered down and got some stuff done this weekend:

    – Sarwark discussed the messaging and legal work the national party is doing to help affiliates who are shut out of debates. It’s not quite in toolkit stage but it’s pretty close, and anyone excluded from a debate 3+ weeks out should let the LNC know.

    – Reviewed our current fundraising strategy, what’s working (much of it!) and what isn’t, and how that impacts cash flow and budgeting. Short answer is we invested a lot in dedicated staff on a lot of things and those investments are paying returns already. We put a lot of money out to do it, but fundraising’s up a quarter year-to-date allowing us to close that gap. States got help with ballot access, candidate support, and other things in the bargain. We (led by Merced) also began an evaluation of membership retention to try to improve that metric.

    – Ballot access is in perhaps the best situation we’ve ever had. We discussed some nice-to-have items, such as suing an awful Maine ballot retention requirement and some additional candidate support. (It was a close vote but we didn’t send money to help shore up their registrations, though I imagine we’ll help the state party on the lawsuit if needed.) If someone came along and gave more money to the Party, we have a
    decent prioritized list of what it would go to.

    – Voted to ease up how we monitor our marketing. Staff correctly pointed out that the LNC’s rules for what they can post/release are sometimes, sometimes unstated and contradictory. We’re going to do more to streamline the process.

    – Began the process of reforming our internal elections. Harlos arranged an electronic voting demonstration, and we all began making sure that our convention people, bylaws people, and the Secretary will all have to work together on this one.

    – Appointed a number of committee members, drawing from 818 pages of applicants. (We had 40+ under-27s apply, eager to help! We’re gonna try to keep them all engaged.) The LNC limited its membership to a minimum on each of the committees, so we get more involvement and input from the party at large. This itself is a big change from past practice.

    – Had a broader goals discussion, both informally with each other and as a group. We’re quickly getting to the point where ballot access isn’t the mountain that consumes all our attention and resources every election. It opens up new opportunities and we want to be strategic, and a little willing to take some risks, with them.

    – Said our thanks to Wes Benedict for his 21 years of service. We’ll soon begin the process of finding a new staff lead. He leaves behind a staff that is specialized and awesome in their tasks, often providing that needed and timely reinforcement for state-level efforts.

    – Some LNC members (Phillips especially) were able to stay an extra day and do some door-knocking for Sarwark for Mayor.

    It’s not all fun and games. I squeezed the meeting in between a speaking gig in Texas and a work meeting in Baton Rouge, resulting in an exhausting five-days-on-the-road trip, with a toothache to boot. Everyone else was in the middle of something important but took time away from it and from their families to move the ball a little bit down the court together.

    Many of these things involved votes. Many of the votes were unanimous or nearly unanimous. Some of them were divided, and I found myself on both winning side and losing side. I changed my mind on some things and changed minds on others. I halted a fair asset management idea that I’ve seen not work before, stopped us from workshopping language as a group in favor of delegating that, was the deciding vote on making sure our meeting minutes are informative to readers, and pushed successfully for some good people for committees. Everyone in the room was magnanimous when they won and gracious when they lost, and moved on to making whatever we decided work.

    You all sent a good group of people to Phoenix, and I hope we continue to build a growing party that can elect and re-elect Libertarians!

  97. paulie Post author

    travellingcircus@gmail.com
    11:37 AM (1 hour ago)
    to Caryn.Ann.Harlos@LP.org, Nicholas, Erin, Whitney

    Can a process be created for those who applied for but were not picked for various committees, or who did not formally apply but have interest, to get involved with the discussions of various committees? (Youth, Ballot Access, Blockchain, etc, etc). Looks like there is a lot more interest in a lot of these than slots available, but few if any people not picked know how they can get involved in the committee discussions without a process to facilitate that in place.

    I have an interest in a few of them myself but none of what I can do for any of the committees is contingent on having a vote or title on any of them, and I had internet problems during the July- August-September timeframes so did not fill out the website application form, for those reasons. I’m sure some of the people who applied for these various committees but were not picked would like to be involved but I doubt many of them know how to make that happen. Can some kind of uniform or at least better explained and publicized process for that be created?

    As always with my emails unless stated otherwise please feel free to share with LNC list if you think it merits discussion there.

    Paul Frankel 205-534-1622

  98. Caryn Ann Harlos

    I agree Paulie – we need much more of that – and this is the direction that Nick is leading us if people would pay attention rather than worrying about who insulted who on twitter. Funny though, it seems the LNC is allergic to electronic meetings and it is frustrating. We really don’t do nearly enough as a Board – and goal setting is important but be damned if I can get six people to agree to a meeting. It’s embarrassing.

  99. paulie Post author

    I agree Paulie – we need much more of that – and this is the direction that Nick is leading us if people would pay attention rather than worrying about who insulted who on twitter.

    Exactly!

    Funny though, it seems the LNC is allergic to electronic meetings and it is frustrating. We really don’t do nearly enough as a Board – and goal setting is important but be damned if I can get six people to agree to a meeting. It’s embarrassing.

    Agreed again. Weekly electronic meeting would make sense to me and I have suggested it before but it got nowhere. Seems that it’s easier to get people to fly or in some cases drive halfway or more across the country every few months and only send emails in between those times, if that. Sad.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *