96 thoughts on “Augustus Sol Invictus: Statement Concerning My Registration with the Republican Party

I was chatting with an online friend recently who commented that Augustus Sol Invictus is either a bad ass freedom fighter, or a paid government plant/actor.

2. Kevin S Bjornson

This fusion of “anarcho-capitalism” [sic] with white nationalism and sympathy for the southern Confederacy is incongruous and unexplainable. This man is mentally ill, with delusions of grandeur. He over-estimates his intellectual abilities. He has no chance of winning and has a reverse Midas touch (everything he touches is despoiled).

3. dL

Indeed incongruous but not inexplicable. The primary architect died during his “paleo phase.” The gatekeepers bequeathed intellectual inheritance to a Frankfurt school critical theory postmodernist who has been busy rewriting Misean praxeology as something that requires a Christian caucasian social commitment to make sense. It also helps that this particular social commitment includes a rich tradition of handing money over to snake oil salesmen.

4. Tony From Long Island

Andy: ” . . . .Augustus Sol Invictus is . . . . . a paid government plant/actor.. . .. :

*sigh* . . . . Paranoia may destroy ya.

He still fails to denounce him . . .

And now it has gone all the way down the drainpipe of the absurd to pagan neofascism.

Why the Elmer Fudd accent on the way out the door?

Why not? LOL.

. a paid government plant/actor.. . .. :

*sigh* . . . . Paranoia may destroy ya.

I wouldn’t rule it out. The racist movement, of which Invictus is a part, is crawling with them. But, if he’s not, he’s certainly still not a “badass freedom fighter” (LOL).

One small request, can he take Ryan Ramsey with him as he leaves?

7. Pete Blome

Well, well, well! The LP of Florida’s loss is the Grand Ol’ Party’s loss. I wonder how the Altamonte Springs Fl police investigations into AI’s kidnapping, sexual assault and domestic violence accusations are coming along.

8. Carol Moore/Secession.net

Ramsey must be disappointed actual libertarians largely ignored his call to move the LP CON 2018 to Vicksburg to respect the confederacy. ha ha ha

9. Carol Moore/Secession.net

DL wrote: “The primary architect died during his “paleo phase.” The gatekeepers bequeathed intellectual inheritance to a Frankfurt school critical theory postmodernist who has been busy rewriting Misean praxeology as something that requires a Christian caucasian social commitment to make sense. It also helps that this particular social commitment includes a rich tradition of handing money over to snake oil salesmen.”

I assume you mean Rothbard and Rockwell? If not do tell for those of us who aren’t quite sure….

10. langa

I assume you mean Rothbard and Rockwell?

Pretty sure he means Rothbard and Hoppe.

11. Luke

You got the first one right Carol, but the second one is Hoppe. Rockwell has certainly played a big role in facilitating all this as well.

12. Luke

“Well, well, well! The LP of Florida’s loss is the Grand Ol’ Party’s loss. ”

I would say and assume you also meant the LPF’s gain is the GOP’s loss.

13. Carol Moore/Secession.net

Ugh. Didn’t realize Hoppe was that prominent now. He defiles the concept of radical decentralization with his open bigotry. Just ran into and interview with him about it today. Well, at least I’ve start secession.net in wordpress, even if it’s just one little page. One day at a time… going through my massive database right now…

Will definitely have listing of “good” libertarian decentralist type groups and another of “bad boys” which will include hoppe and friends, among others. Keep your stupid bigotry to yourself. One can be into freedom of association without blaring who you don’t want to associate with all over the internet. Geez…

14. Anthony Dlugos

paulie,

“One small request, can he take Ryan Ramsey with him as he leaves?”

I was thinking the same thing. We can only hope.

I am curious about the timing here. Does anyone know why he did this now? Is he really taking tactical political advice from Petersen.

Paul said: “I wouldn’t rule it out. The racist movement, of which Invictus is a part, is crawling with them. But, if he’s not, he’s certainly still not a ‘badass freedom fighter’ (LOL).”

If Invictus were a government plant, I don’t see why he’d join the Republican Party. Maybe I am wrong, but I just don’t see any upside to this for the government, as from their perspective, it would seem to me to be better to have him operating in third party movements.

This leads me to think that maybe he’s just a bit of an eccentric, with a flair for the dramatic, and maybe not a bad guy, as in spite of all of the hysteria against him, his platform was not bad. End the drug war, end the Federal Reserve System, end the income tax, support gun rights, end military imperialism, withdraw from the United Nations, etc… These were all issues that he espoused. His platform was certainly a lot more libertarian than that of Gary Johnson and Bill Weld. Also, note that in the video above, he said that the presidential ticket for the LP in 2016 should have been Austin Petersen/Larry Sharpe. I am not exactly one of the biggest fans of Austin Petersen, but he certainly would have been better than Johnson, and Sharpe was way better than Weld.

Talking about “sacrificing” a goat sounded weird (I would not advise any candidate to wave around their religious views/practices, whether they are considered to be “mainstream” or not), but I bought some lamb at a grocery store, and I “sacrificed” it on my George Foreman Grill last night, along with some mushrooms (non-psychedelic), asparagus, and green onions, and some raw garlic and red onion, washed down with a cold New Holland Brewing Dragon’s Milk Stout. Am I any better a person because I bought the lamb from a grocery store, where other people had killed it, cut it up, and packaged it, than a person who killed their own food?

Much was made about him supporting a forced eugenics program, yet in reality, this was a view that he had abandoned years ago, and his actual position was that the existence of the welfare state creates a perverse set of incentives that punishes responsible and talented people from breeding via taxation to subsidize the breeding habits of the less responsible and less talented, and that this is an argument to call for the elimination of the welfare state. I would certainly agree that a government forced eugenics program is not inline with libertarian principles, but Augustus NEVER called for a government forced eugenics program while in the Libertarian Party, he called for ending the welfare state, which eliminates the perverse set of incentives and negative effects of taxpayer funded breeding.

If Augustus is to be demonized and held accountable for a view that he abandoned before he was in the Libertarian Party, then everyone who ever held any views that were contrary to libertarian principles ought to be held to the same standard. There are very few people who started their political journey as libertarians, due to the fact that the government dominated education system, the mainstream media, and most of society in general, programs people from a young age to NOT be a libertarian. I have also heard plenty of people espouse issue stances that I consider to be less than libertarian, who did this as ACTIVE MEMBERS of the Libertarian Party, some have even been candidates or party officers.

I had originally written Augustus off as a nut, with his talk of having sacrificed a goat, and dancing naked in the woods under the moon, and taking LSD and seducing strippers, along with his strange accent (he sounds like a Southern plantation owner/aristocrat from the 1800’s), frequent use of black and white video, and for having changed his name from his birth name of Austin Gallespie to the Roman sounding Augustus Sol Invictus. I thought that if he was not a nut, that perhaps he was a government plant, who was sent in to cause disruption, and to act crazy and make Libertarians look bad. I have not met him in person, but I have talked to some people who have met him, like Steve Sheetz, and people I have talked to who have met him said that he did not come off as a bad guy in person, and the overall impression I heard from those who have met him has been positive.

The jury is still out for me when it comes to Augustus Invictus, but after looking at him more closely over the last few months, and actually listening to what he has to say, rather than listening to the hysteria against him, I think that it is possible that he has been misunderstood and unfairly demonized (this does NOT mean that I agree with him on every detail of every issue, as I probably do not agree with anyone on every detail of every issue, and I do have some disagreements with Augustus Invictus). I DO STILL HOLD OUT THE POSSIBILITY THAT HE COULD BE A GOVERNMENT PLANT WHO WAS SENT IN TO CAUSE DISRUPTION AND BEHAVE IN AN ECCENTRIC MANNER, but it is also possible that he’s just an eccentric, dramatic person, as in maybe this is just his personality.

16. Anthony Dlugos

Andy,

This is the respectable party of Gary Johnson and William Weld now.

17. Anthony Dlugos

“Check out this clip of Augustus reading Odysseus in the Land of the Dead with his daughter (who looks Hispanic).”

a) I’m not gonna give that moron any clicks.

b) “some of my best friends are black” says the racist.

“Anthony Dlugos
    July 14, 2017 at 11:01
    Andy,

He’s not a government plant. He’s a sad. demented nut, much like yourself, no offense intended. You’re welcome to show yourself out the door with him and the other alt-reichers, wackadoodle conspiracy theorists, and palecons.”

I am not a “sad, demented nut,” nor am I a conservative.

If you would like the opportunity to engage me in political debate, I am in Ohio right now. So perhaps we can get together somewhere, and have a political debate, to be placed on video and posted online, and we can let the public decide who is more libertarian.

“This is the respectable party of Gary Johnson and William Weld now.”

LOL!!!!

“Anthony Dlugos
    July 14, 2017 at 11:09
    ‘Check out this clip of Augustus reading Odysseus in the Land of the Dead with his daughter (who looks Hispanic).’

a) I’m not gonna give that moron any clicks.”

So don’t let facts get in the way of a good smear.

“b) ‘some of my best friends are black’ says the racist.”

So are you alleging that Augustus hates his daughter?

20. Tony From Long Island

Andy:

21. Anthony Dlugos

Tony.

“What the hell does what his daughter “looks like” have to do with anything?”

That’s what I was wondering about until I realized it was Andy posting the comment.

Andy,

No 9/11 Troofer debates for me. I’m going to a Alaskan Brewing Company Tap takeover at a local brewhouse.

22. Tony From Long Island

Andy:

Your Johnson obsession continues . . . .

” . . .I am not a “sad, demented nut,” nor am I a conservative. . . . . If you would like the opportunity to engage me in political debate, I am in Ohio right now . . . .

Your daily conspiracy crap belies that first point . . . . .still using the tired old “let’s debate” nonsense. . . .

“Tony From Long Island
    ‘July 14, 2017 at 11:24
    Andy:

What the hell does what his daughter “looks like” have to do with anything? You continue to paint yourself as a xenophobe and then get all self-righteous when you are called on it.”

Augustus was labeled as being a “racist” and a Nazi multiple times, yet he brought up that he was married to a brown skinned Hispanic woman, and that he had part Hispanic kids. I was just posting a video clip I found of Augustus reading with his daughter, because I don’t think that most people here have seen his daughter. His actual political platform was also quite libertarian, certainly far from being a Nazi platform.

Also, note that in the video that starts this thread, he said that he voted for Larry Sharpe to be the LP’s VP nominee. Since Sharpe is half black this also flies in the face of the allegation that Augustus is a horrible racist.

Ironically, the political positions of Gary Johnson and Bill Weld are closer to being Nazi than the political positions espoused by Augustus Invictus. Augustus never proposed a secret government enemies list to deny people the right to purchase firearms, unlike Johnson/Weld. Augustus did not support the war on Iraq, or the Patriot Act, like Bill Weld did. Unlike Johsnon/Weld, who only called for taxing and regulating marijuana, but keeping the rest of the War on Drugs going as it is, Augustus Invictus called for an end to the entire War on Drugs.

This is an extremely weird guy. I couldn’t even finish the 8 minute video, mainly because of his ridiculous fake accent.

Good riddance. I predict his 15 minutes of fame in politics is way over.

Seriously, I predict he’ll show up here in Los Angeles, thinking he can make it as one of those people who are famous because they’re famous (like the Kardashians). They’ll eat him alive.

27. Anthony Dlugos

Jill,

I’m told he’s beyond weird in person, verging on disturbed. “Vacant eyes” I’ve heard more than once.

The irony of the situation is that he seems to think he’s gonna find a more sympathetic ear in the GOP. The reality is Republicans (and Democrats, for that matter), are far less tolerant of anything that doesn’t help them win. They don’t put up with childish coffee house debates about who is and who is not a Republican when they come from the mentally deranged. Once they get a whiff of his fascism, he’ll be shown the door with prejudice.

“Jill Pyeatt
    July 14, 2017 at 12:12

Good riddance. I predict his 15 minutes of fame in politics is way over.”

A lot of people have said the same thing about his accent (which sounds forced, or exaggerated, if not completely fake), myself included.

Since he became a big topic here on IPR over the last 6 or 7 months or so, I have watched a lot of his videos. If nothing else, I think he’s entertaining.

29. Tony From Long Island

Andy

*sigh* you are a truly sick man. How have you lasted this long in life without being involuntarily institutionalized?

30. DJ

Tony From Long Island
    July 14, 2017 at 12:58

Andy

……..

Pot, meet kettle.

31. Chuck Moulton

paulie wrote (7/14/2017 at 01:29):

Then again he could just be a mentally ill racist piece of shit. Good riddance!

Agreed! I hope the door hits him on the way out. Take Ramsey and the rest of the alt-right with you please.

On another note, I find it amazing that Andy continues to say wildly rascist things, then act shocked when people point out the rascism.

Andy 2017/07/14 at 10:53 am TL; DR. I have documented in great detail how Invictus is a racist, fascist, bigoted piece of shit – now, not just in the past, and definitely, not just maybe – in multiple past threads. I don’t care to argue about it again. Reread past IPR Invictus threads if you have any doubts.

Check out this clip of Augustus reading Odysseus in the Land of the Dead

No. Why would I waste my time?

with his daughter (who looks Hispanic).

Yes, he dates/marries non”white” women. Newsflash: so do lots of other racists.

Why would it be any different than in print? I’ve discussed political issues with you in person and it’s no different than online. The only difference in person is that it’s hard to get a word in edgewise a lot of the time. I pause a lot when I speak and you jump in before I have finished my sentence, much less my thought. Why do you think that debating you in person is any more convincing to the audience than doing so in print?

So don’t let facts get in the way of a good smear.

No, don’t let irrelevant bullshit like videos of him reading to his daughter get in the way of the facts.

Augustus was labeled as being a “racist” and a Nazi multiple times,

That’s because he is.

Formerly married, and he would be far from the only racist who has had interracial relationships.

His actual political platform is a lot more than one issue platform on a website. There are numerous articles, speeches, videos etc of him spouting fascist, racist shit, calling himself a fascist, making speeches to racist groups, etc, etc, etc. It has been documented here in great detail more times than I can count, and you should know this by now.

Again…so what? Bigotry is a complex phenomenon. People are not cartoons. The fact that Invictus is a racist is a fact, not an allegation.

That’s complete nonsense. Invictus was literally a card carrying member of the National Socialist Movement and still makes speeches at their rallies, among many other racist groups he addresses on a regular basis. You degrade yourself by defending this piece of shit.

Good riddance.

Indeed.

I predict his 15 minutes of fame in politics is way over.

I hope so but I suspect he is the kind of turd that will keep floating back up, stubbornly refusing to go down the drain at the bottom of the toilet bowl as he should.

Normally that would be the case. But the stench of fascism around Drumpf did not lead to him being shown the door; quite the opposite. I think the Republicans may well be headed (further) in that direction than ever before. It’s not surprising that a fascist like Invictus is drawn to their party.

Exactly.

Regardless of any of the merits or demerits of Augustus Sol Invictus, I can’t see him being nominated to any office by the Republican Party, except for maybe some low level office, but I am skeptical that they would even nominate him to run for a low level office. I’d say that his chances of being nominated by the Republican Party are lower than Austin Petersen’s chances of winning the Republican US Senate primary in Missouri, and Austin Petersen’s chances are pretty damn low in that race.

Here is a video of a speech Augustus recently gave to the Queens Libertarians in New York City. Note that Larry Sharpe can be seen in the audience during this speech, and that early in his speech, Augustus compliments Mr. Sharpe, and says that he’s a fan of his (or something to that effect).

Augustus Invictus: Address to the Queens Libertarians

And it’s not like this should be news to Andy, as it has been posted in multiple past threads. You have to be deliberately ignorant to ignore that level of proof. Simple thick headedness does not even begin to explain it.

44. Richard Winger

I believe Larry Sharpe has announced his intention to seek the New York Libertarian gubernatorial nomination. I hope if that is true that IPR does a story on that.

45. Cody Quirk

But nevertheless still, good riddance. The more such alt-right plants leave for the GOP, the better.

46. Anthony Dlugos

“Interesting that Augustus does this around the same time that Austin Petersen left for the GOP. Coincidence?”

That’s what I was wondering about. I haven’t heard anything about the alt-reich losing their grip on LPFL, so it is strange that he decides to do this now, days after AWP does the same. Goat Blood Boy is not actually taking advice/following the lead of the AWP, is he?

In any case, I hope Elmer Fudd Invictus doesn’t get his hopes up. There might be a market for AWP’s righty libertarianism. He might be able to land a job on The Blaze or something. There’s no market for what appears to be a fascist with sociopathic mannerism.

47. Anthony Dlugos

paulie,

“Normally that would be the case. But the stench of fascism around Drumpf did not lead to him being shown the door; quite the opposite.”

Trump had 100% name recognition, 40 years spent crafting a phony-baloney populist message, several billion dollars, a series of golddigger high-profile wives, and so on. For all that, the GOP was willing to cut him a lot of slack with regard to his nationalist flirtations. Obviously, Goat Blood doesn’t bring any of those prerequisites to the table.

He’ll learn soon enough how wedded the GOP is to soft-core fascism and how wedded it is to doing/saying whatever it takes to win. It’ll happen about that time they use his head as a battering ram and throw him out into the alley through the side door.

48. Bondurant

Augustus is correct in pointing out that the Libertarian Party failed to produce a libertarian ticket but he’s wrong that Austin Petersen was the right choice. It is nice to see the conservatives tiring of the LP and I hope the same will be true for the Democrats that seem to be attracted now for some reason. Reform your own parties. Stop mucking things for those of us that actually care.

I don’t expect him to become any kind of star in the NSGOP. Hopefully he won’t come back to the LP ever again.

50. Amin Causwell

The reason you people have a problem is becuase your silly little political test tells everyone theyre libertarian.

51. Anthony Dlugos

my worry is that Petersen and/or A.I. could both come back, although I think Petersen would be more likely,

Petersen is bouncing back and forth too many times to retain credibility on either end of the bounce. Invictus has no credibility to begin with, so there’s nothing to lose.

I’ve administered the WSPQ at countless county fair booths. Less than 25% identify in the libertarian quadrant.

Same here, although I have not been doing it lately, but I collected easily in the 5-figure range of data points (individual results) on it going back as far as at least 1992. I may have actually helped some LPers with running it at their booth even before that, back before I was one myself, but I can’t remember for sure. In any case in the 1990s and early 2000s the typical distribution was maybe 15-25% libertarian quintile. The smaller number of times I have done it more recently, it does not seem to have changed much, although there is somewhat less unfamiliarity with the term and less surprise when people score libertarian (although the surprise still happens, only less often).

In some places I tend to get a slightly higher l-quintile distribution. At colleges, the single biggest cluster I noticed was always around the left-center-libertarian border but still plenty not even close to L-quintile. At guns shows the biggest cluster was right-center-libertarian. Those were my biggest go to spots for signatures and I often did the quiz in conjunction with petitioning. I did go to a bunch of county fairs and other similar events too, and there the biggest cluster often tends to be a big column up the middle from top to bottom, with smaller concentrations on the left and right.

My memory is a long way from perfect, but at the moment I can’t recall anywhere other than a libertarian event where I got over say 40% or so in the libertarian quintile.

55. Thomas L. Knapp

—–
    I’m told [Augustus Invictus] beyond weird in person, verging on disturbed. “Vacant eyes” I’ve heard more than once.
    —–

He didn’t strike me that way at all. When he’s not engaged in public oratory, he’s an engaging and friendly guy. Or at least he was with me.

It was never Augustus Invictus as an individual who needed to be defeated, or distanced from the LP. It was the ideas he supports. And while attacking him as an individual can be both personally satisfying, and effective in the short term and specific situation, he’s fairly inconsequential and it’s those ideas that have to be defeated.

56. Luke

Maybe he has different personalities. One is the charming, “normal” persona, one is the vacant-eyed nut, one is the fake accent orator, etc. He’s almost without any doubt at the very least a sociopath, combined with extreme narcissism (he named himself the majestic unconquerable Sun-God, etc), and quite possibly much more seriously mentally ill; but like other sociopaths, he knows how to hide the craziness and put on an engaging, functional persona when it suits him. I don’t think he has any bright political future in any party, but I could easily see him pulling off another Oklahoma City type of bombing or something of that nature. The allegations of domestic violence and rape have not been proven true, but those allegations were not surprising in any way and if they do turn out to be true that will not be a surprise either.

57. Luke

“Does anyone really care what this attention grabbing clown does? He is a non-event. He is truly insignificant to the LP which makes him even less significant to the GOP. He is truly a skid mark on the boxer shorts of life!”

You are probably right. I don’t think he is going to do anything significant, unless it’s some kind of horrible terrorist and/or criminal act(s).

58. Thane Eichenauer (@ilovegrover)

Thank you Andy for posting this item of interest to members of the Libertarian Party.

Matt Welch with Reason has written a post about the departure of Augustus Sol Invictus from the Libertarian Party. It has more truth in it than nine out of ten articles about Invictus. I think both supporters and detractors will find something of value in it should they read it. As of this moment the post has 57 comments.

Titled: Controversial Western Civilization Crusader Augustus Sol Invictus Bolts Libertarian Party for the GOP
    Subtitled: Leftists “have infiltrated and corrupted” the L.P., the former Senate primary-election loser charges on his way out the door

59. Kevin S Bjornson

Defining “western civilization” is like defining human nature. Augustus seems to define the west according to some of it’s worst elements. With a few good features, to provide camouflage for his use of the LP as a vehicle for his psychodrama.

There is no way that libertarianism would be compatible with Plato’s notion of philosopher kings, even if the king were a white supremacist neo-nazi.

Neither does neo-paganism represent western culture, Paganism was/is to be found around the world, with no discernible affinity for reason. Even though in the estate of nature, of humans as hunter-gatherers, there was little government; but that was simply because there was little stored wealth that would give rise to the need for government protection.

Trump is a mixed bag and Augustus seems to identify with a parody of an image of the POTUS that does not truly reflect the man, or at least his better instincts. He is pretentious and is amazingly ignorant.

That being said, the LP leadership isn’t much better.

My treatise does define the political dimension of the birth of civilization in the west:

60. Luke

Translated into reality: Reichwingers tried to infiltrate and corrupt the LP and failed miserably, sending their former Senate primary election loser on his overdue way out the door. Huzzah!

Controversial Western Civilization Crusader Augustus Sol Invictus

I’m surprised that they didn’t at least put “western civilization” in quotes. We all know what he really means.

62. Solomon Kleinsmith

Those are all great reasons to leave the Libertarian Party.

What doesn’t make sense here is why you’d join a party that welcomes so many people who do precisely the same things you say you left the Libertarian Party.

63. dL

Rare to read a treatment on western civilization divert to a presentation on contemporaneous geopolitical foreign policy strategy. Some might be inclined to thusly view the “western civilization” preamble as a pretext.

I assume everyone here has taken a course on “western civilization” in high school. This is not difficult. It is simply tracing a set traditions of philosophy, science, art, politics, law, ethics, etc back to ancient Greece. And It certainly is not simple cultural arc. For example, in religion, Greek philosophy had major impacts on both Christianity and Islam(Aristotle). The enlightenment or the renaissance was a rediscovery of sorts of the ancient greek philosophic tradition sans the intermediary religious authority that has accumulated over the reign of the dark ages. And it should be note the dark ages only ended b/c of the social upheaval brought about by the black plague.

Libertarianism/laissez faire doesn’t originate from the West. It originates from Chines philosophic tradition. It was translated into the West by the French physiocrats. Laissez faire is at odds with the social contract traced through Roman Law back to ancient Greece. Indeed, liberalism itself is at odds w/ that tradition. The greek tradition is what today we would call a much more a communitarian tradition. The state, the polis is a natural fabric in the moral orientation of human beings. Whereas liberalism holds the state to be an artificial construct, an invented tool. Something like anarchism was an anathema to Plato and Aristotle. However, in liberalism it is usually the starting point.

The one thing that should be a source of unanimity RE: western civilization is that it doesn’t require State protection. Anyone who argues otherwise is pining for the worst aspects of it. Conservatives who flap “western civilization” are certainly yearning for a return to the dark ages tradition of it.

Those are all great reasons to leave the Libertarian Party.

Please explain what reasons you found compelling and why you found them to be compelling.

It’s a mistake to believe that Invictus’ references to “western civilization” are anything except a transparent euphemism for “white race.” In an email that was forwarded to me yesterday from Augustus Invictus to Raquel Okyay (the same one in which he issued threats against myself and others) dated June 3 2017 Invictus writes:

We represent a group much, much broader than the LPF, and you know this. Joe Wendt represents no one but Joe Wendt. We have not just libertarians but Republicans and independents, militant groups, anarchists and authoritarians, revolutionaries and conservatives, and a whole host of Americans who are sick to death of the corruption of the System.

What do all these diverse people have in common, I wonder?

I should also note that as Invictus and his ilk use it “western civilization” (or “white race”) does not include Jews. I am of mostly Jewish ancestry, and the US regime considers me to be “white” but Invictus and his ilk do not. The same holds true of other peoples of Middle Eastern origin.

A major component of “western civilization” as conventionally understood is Christianity and its roots in Judaism, and Jews in diaspora have contributed a great deal to the philosophy, art, and other things that make up “western civilization,” but from the antisemitic perspective that is embedded in Invictus’ “revolutionary conservatism” Jews and Muslims alike are a cancer on “western civilization”; he openly discusses killing both Jews and Muslims, and writes that the US government’s failings include “fear of the Jews.” And his nonsense about “white genocide” is an insult to say the least to ethnic groups which have experienced actual genocide.

67. Kevin S Bjornson

My understanding of “western civilization” is completely different than that of Invictus.

The political aspects of Western civilization originated in the synthesis resulting from Rome’s conquest of Athens. Roman common law overlapped with portions of Stoicism, to form the theory of natural justice (Jus Naturale).

The philosophical aspects were mostly Greek. The best Greek philosopher was Aristotle.

Educated people at the time, were familiar with both aspects. Unfortunately, the printing press wasn’t then in use, only elites were so educated. The masses were mostly pagan, like Invictus.

Christianity appealed to pagans, it’s simple message could be communicated without books, and the christ dying on the cross theme saved them money (they no longer had to sacrifice animals, like the goats Invictus relishes).

Judaism can be considered a paleo-humanism, which influenced Stoicism. Christianity is a middle eastern import and should not be considered part of western civilization as classically defined.

Classical libertarianism went astray during the feudal era, when the non-interventionist theory distorted traditional understandings of Jus Naturale.

Foreign policy is relevant, because when western civilization is attacked by a foreign adversary, we can’t afford to ignore or minimize that.

These things are explained in greater detail in my treatise, which was originally published in a Russian academic journal dealing with modern scientific thought.

LP leadership has very little understanding of classical libertarianism. They are like blind-folded people stumbling through a library, with only a few glimmerings making it through their self-imposed blinds.

68. dL

Yes, I’m fully aware that for some, “western civilization” has replaced “anglo saxon” as the preferred dog whistle for christian white caucasian.

69. dL

LP leadership has very little understanding of classical libertarianism.

Well to be fair, your arc of classical libertarianism is heretical and advanced only by a school of one, namely yourself.

Invictus is a pagan, so I don’t think he means “Christian.” It’s more likely that he rolls Christianity into being, along with Judaism and Islam, “three weeds from the same root.”

71. Kevin S Bjornson

dl claims that criticism of LP leadership is coming from one person only–me. I guess that’s why Gary Johnson did so well in the last two elections, huh? I guess Austin Petersen and Wayne Root are figments of my imagination.

That reminds me of a Heinlein short story, about a man who was the center of everything. Cities don’t exist on their own, but are created as props for the central character. I didn’t know I was that important!

The fact remains, GJ is not a libertarian. At best, he’s a moderate. He has virtually no knowledge of the theory and many of his positions are unlibertarian.

72. Anthony Dlugos

“The fact remains, GJ is not a libertarian. At best, he’s a moderate. He has virtually no knowledge of the theory and many of his positions are unlibertarian”

“The fact remains, GJ is not a libertarian.
    He’s a member of the Libertarian Party. In the arena of electoral politics, that’s all that matters.

“At best, he’s a moderate.”

Good. Voters aren’t interested in Ancapistan.

“He has virtually no knowledge of the theory…”

So what? Are you aware of the job he was running for? Anything more than the most rudimentary understanding of theory is unnecessary, verging on the counterproductive.

73. Kevin S Bjornson

Many or most voters are fed up with the establishment. They are tired of moderates and RINO’s. They are hungry for change, and upset that even when the GOP controls both houses and the presidency, serious reforms are still blocked. There is no way that the LP can compete for the establishment vote, that already belongs to the two majors.

To make an analogy; suppose you wanted to compete with the Microsoft operating system. Many people are upset with it but it still seems to dominate. Would you offer in competition, an operating system with the same flaws? Why would people buy your system, when it offers no advantages, and because of obscurity has compatibility issues?

Why should someone vote LP, when almost certainly it’s candidates will lose? The only possible reason is, the LP offers a clear vision of significant change, based on ideas. If LP candidates like GJ can’t even explain liberty philosophy when asked, and he will lose, why should people pay attention to him? They haven’t, despite that the 2016 election had record-high dissatisfaction with the two major candidates.

I don’t favor “anarcho-capitalism” [sic] for both ideological and marketing reasons. I understand the need to not come across as a kook. I’ve frequently criticized the LP for flaunting a flamboyant face, a which amounts to a persistent persona problem. We need to simplify the message, and resonate with voters in areas of strongest agreement.

74. Anthony Dlugos

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you posted there.

However, I tend to think we Libertarians tend to WAY overestimate the amount of change voters…and nonvoters alike…will even consider, let alone vote for. Upset with the establishment? Sure. Ready to privatize social security and release all non-violent drug offenders. Not on your life. Not only is such epochal change not wanted now, it will never be demanded by anything more than the 1/2 percent baseline the LP typically gets.

There is plenty of data to back that up. Polls are regularly taken that include voters AND nonvoters. None of them ever show an appetite for the change we Libertarians wish to see.

So, getting to your analogy with Microsoft…if the flaws are attributes that people want, for whatever reason, I would certainly consider including them in my operating system. I’m not saying my product may be exactly alike, but there may be things people who buy computers want, even if they are design flaws. Its certainly possible to create a better o.s. constrained by the flaws the consumer demands.

75. Anthony Dlugos

Just to elaborate…just because voters will run screaming to be wrapped in the loving arms of the Demopublicans if we strut around, proud as a peacock with a suggestion that we privatize social security now…it doesn’t mean we can’t actually get to that reality at some point down the line. But we gotta reach the voters where they are at now.

76. dL

I see Bjornson is demonstrating his superior reading comprehension skills again. I obviously made no such claim. What I did point out–as a retort to your claim that the LP leadership is ignoring classical libertarianism–was that your version of classical libertarianism is subscribed to by no one except yourself. How you managed to twist that into the statement above–namely, that you are the only one critical of LP leadership– beats the heck out of me.

77. dL

No one ever did beat Microsoft for the consumer desktop device market. However,
    (1) Linux long ago supplanted Windows in the server farm
    (2) Google did usurp Microsoft for the most used app on Microsoft’s own desktop device: Chrome
    (3) Apple and Google turned the consumer desktop into a shrinking market in the overall general consumer device market.

So the obvious answer to MS dominance was to change the game: the creative destruction of new markets. Unfortunately, politics(at least in the US), is a winner take all game. Scientifically, this enforces a duopoly. Politics simply does not resemble a “market” in the usual meaning. Hence, market analogies fail. What you are left with(other than possibly party disintermediation opening up occasional opportunities at the local levels) is not “change the game,” but rather “change the narrative.” “Change the Narrative” does not necessarily require a purity of message, but it is certainly aided w/ consistency of message that is consistently differentiated from the status quo.

78. dL

(1) Stick your finger in the wind(median voter theorem) is the absolute worst strategy for 3rd party politics. And its not an opinion. It’s in the political science literature.
    (2) I would dispute your claim that “libertarian change” is any less popular than “Republican” change or “Democratic” change.
    (3) Third party party politics only requires 1/3, not a majority. So, 10% or so only support drug legalization. But 60% support pot legalization. You have to be brain dead and devoid of a spine not to think you can’t work w/ that(or interpret that as a cautionary yellow light). Particularly in the context of 3rd party politics.

79. dL

FYI: I don’t consider “privatizing social security” to be the libertarian position. It may be the Cato position, but I consider Cato to be a GOP think tank. Libertarianism is not “privatize” existing state functions. That ends up being associated with “Black Water” crap…and rightly so, IMO. Plus, going after the poor man’s plunder should be the absolute lowest priority.

80. Kevin S Bjornson

There are legitimate functions of government, that is true in theory and practice. To suppose that liberty could flourish without organized protection, is a delusion and a major reason the LP is not getting traction.

Many millions of Americans are dependent on Social Security retirement; they have contributed to the system by paying SS taxes and planned their retirement accordingly. To imagine that most of them could simply re-join the work force isn’t realistic (many do not have children, and if they do, their children might not be able or willing to support them). SS retirement could be funded by sale of government land, which could be traded to insurance companies in exchange for their assuming SS liabilities.

If you don’t want to “privatize” government land, I suppose instead it could be salted by radioactive waste to prevent future use for any purpose, right?

The Federal Reserve Banking system now provides many essential functions, like clearing inter-state and inter-bank transactions. Without clearing, the US economy would quickly grind to a halt, so clearly this function needs to be “privatized”.

My treatise on Classical Libertarianism was published in the Russian academic journal, “Modern Scientific Thought”; an updated version is available on the Libertarian Defense Caucus website. My knowledge of this topic was not invented by me, but discovered by scholarship in preparation for my teaching at liberty camps in the former Soviet Union. Since the principles of liberty are based on natural law, it’s not surprising that many generations going back 2500 years resonate with it.

If you don’t think classical libertarian represents true libertarianism, please cite authors from previous centuries who agree with whatever it is you favor. I’m still not clear what that is, except a generalized angst over all government in general, with special emphasis on the US government (in your view, the worst gov’t in world history, right?).

81. Pingback: We’ll be Draining the Swamp in 2018, One Candidate At A Time. | D.T.S. Candidates