New York City Mayor Eric Adams has ended his reelection bid as an independent, abruptly exiting the race just several weeks before Election Day. His name will still appear on the ballot, as the withdrawal deadline has already passed.
Adams made the announcement Sunday, September 28, in an X video citing media scrutiny, financial setbacks, and lingering fallout from his federal indictment. “Despite all we’ve achieved, I cannot continue my re-election campaign,” he said, putting blame on the media for undermining his viability. He also criticized the city’s Campaign Finance Board for denying him public matching funds, saying the decision throttled his ability to raise money and mount a viable campaign.
In his video message, Adams vigorously defended his record, casting his departure as a reluctant but necessary decision. Sitting beside a portrait of his late mother, he expressed pride in his tenure and framed his administration as one focused on marginalized communities. “This campaign was for the underserved, the marginalized, the abandoned, and the betrayed by government,” he said. “Since then, it has been my honor to be your mayor, and I’m proud to say that we took that victory four years ago and turned it into action.”
Adams also briefly addressed the federal case that had dogged his campaign, claiming he was wrongly charged because he “fought for this city.” He acknowledged that the controversy had left some voters uncertain about his leadership, but maintained that his intentions were always rooted in public service.
Though Adams did not endorse a successor, he issued a pointed warning about “insidious forces” and “divisive agendas” in city politics, suggesting a passive rebuke of Democratic nominee Zohran Mamdani, a democratic socialist and frequent frontrunner. “Major change is welcome and necessary,” Adams said. “But beware of those who claim the answer [is] to destroy the very system we built together over generations. That is not change. That is chaos.”
Adams, who had been seeking reelection as an independent candidate under the “Safe&Affordable” label, faced mounting pressure in recent weeks to abandon his campaign. Local and state media outlets reported that advisors of President Donald Trump had floated the possibility of a diplomatic appointment for Adams. Trump had also suggested that Republican nominee Curtis Sliwa exit the race.
According to the New York Times, Trump advisor Steve Witkoff had allegedly urged the president to offer Adams the ambassadorship to Saudi Arabia. Adams denied the reports at the time, calling them false and restating his intent to remain in the race. Adams has also not indicated whether he would accept such a role now that he’s left the race.
Adams is the second independent to exit the race, following Jim Walden’s withdrawal last month. Both names will remain on the November ballot despite their departures.


Be First to Comment