Gregg Jocoy at Green Party Watch:
The Democratic Green Party of Rwanda has issued it’s interim platform.
DEMOCRATIC GREEN PARTY OF RWANDA
INTERIM POLITICAL PLATFORM
We, the founding members of the Democratic Green Party of Rwanda require that our Government operate within limits set forth in the Constitution of the Republic of Rwanda.
As Green Democrats, we believe :
1. Non-violence and peaceful means of conflict resolution are the best and only solution to national problems.
2. Social Justice and equal opportunity while focusing on personal and social responsibility guarantees a better future.
3. Participatory Democracy is rooted in community practice at the grassroots level. Citizens have the power and Government exists to serve them.
4. Unity and reconciliation of Rwandans should be promoted and ethnic politics be guarded against.
5. Balancing the interests of a regulated market economy and community-based economics with effective care for the ecosystems will lead to Ecological and Economic Sustainability.
6. Government must take special care to protect and defend the rights of the innocent and defenseless members of our society.
7. Government must practice fiscal responsibility, limit taxation and control spending.
8. No individual has special rights above another individual.
9. Government exists to protect and ensure the unalienable rights of the people, which include the right to life, liberty, peaceful assembly, expression, worship and the pursuit of happiness.
10. Our unalienable rights are granted to us by God.
POLICY PLEDGES FOR THE NEXT RWANDAN PARLIAMENT
The Democratic Green Party of Rwanda takes pride in its focus on innovative policies and solutions to the challenges that the Republic of Rwanda faces.
This platform is a living and dynamic document to suit national interests. It will guide us in the 2013 parliamentary elections and beyond.
We hope to make the following policy and legislative changes in the next parliament :
1. Education – We will propose a revision on Education Policy that will enable equal opportunities for education for all Rwandans. We shall encourage reviews in the students financing policy, bi-lingual policy, teacher salary and benefits.
2. Economy –We shall encourage a strong green economy that creates new jobs. This will include green energy, green tourism, sustainable farming, sustainable planning, green transportation, sustainable industrialisation and many others. We will encourage increased employment opportunities in all sectors, which will result in improved well-being of all Rwandans. We will encourage a responsible taxation policy that encourages domestic trade and investment.
3. Flexible Public Service System- The Democratic Green Party of Rwanda shall encourage political reform in public service. Political reform must be accompanied by changes in our civil and public service. We shall encourage greater accountability of both the Local and Central Government. The Civil Service should maintain its non-political character while engaging in more interaction with the political system. Opposition parties should have access as a matter of course to briefings from Government officials on emerging legislative and policy proposals.
4. Truth, Unity and Reconciliation- The Democratic Green Party will propose a parliamentary standing committee on Truth, Unity and Reconciliation. This committee will encourage truth telling while guarding against ethnic politics and promoting free speech and free press.
5. Sustainable Agriculture- The Democratic Green Party, will encourage better methods of farming that will help Rwandans have enough food to eat and export. We shall expand this sector by harnessing and growing our international reputation as ‘the Green Land of Africa’. By positioning ourselves at the premium quality end of the market, we can in fact create more jobs and more value through lower intensity farming methods. We shall advocate for a budgetary increase in this sector.
6. Reform the Social Welfare System- The Democratic Green Party of Rwanda will propose a modernized social welfare system. We will propose policies that can provide un-employment benefits. We will encourage a better social welfare for all Rwandans.
7. Environmental Management- We will encourage and enforce sustainable planning, environment and social impact assessments, Green Growth mechanism, climate change sound policies and legislation, etc.
8. Peace and Non-Violence- The Democratic Green Party will encourage peaceful means in conflict resolution. We shall encourage Government to have dialogue with its political adversaries.
9. Participatory and Grassroots Democracy- We will encourage a broader opening of the political spectrum to all people of Rwanda. This will enable the Government to accommodate public debate on policy issues. We will support the promotion of women, youth, children, people with disabilities and marginalised people.
10. Permanent Solution of the Refugee problem- The Democratic Green Party of Rwanda in collaboration with all concerned stakeholders will propose policies that will put an end to the chronic refugee problem of the people of Rwanda.
Issued on 7th March 2011
Democratic Green Party of Rwanda
African Global Village has posted the full content of the Rwandan Green Party’s Interim Platform. Green Party Watch published the same text yesterday. As more media outlets cover the Rwandan Green Party we will connect you with it here, and we will attempt to bring news directly from Greens in Rwanda.