67 thoughts on “Tom Woods: Revisiting Libertarians for Trump, as the First Hundred Days Come to a Close

“L”4T was never big L to my knowledge, nor is Tom Woods, so IPR-relatedness is questionable. At least add some kind of blurb such as Woods spoke at so and so LP convention, or whatever, to CYA.

“Anthony Dlugos
    April 23, 2017 at 09:13
    Tom Woods can kiss my ass.”

Did you even watch the video? Tom Woods never endorsed Donald Trump. Tom did not endorse Gary Johnson either. He did not endorse anyone for President.

This video is a debate between Walter Block, who did endorse Donald Trump (as a “lessor of two evils” move as compared to Hillary Clinton), and Robert Wenzel (I don’t know if he endorsed anyone for President, but I know that he is not a fan of Gary Johnson, so I don’t think he endorsed him).

The fact that any libertarians and constitutionalist type of people supported Donald Trump had a lot to do with the fact that the Libertarian Party nominated a presidential ticket that was not very libertarian, if they were libertarian at all, Libertarians for Trump would have been much smaller IF the Libertarian Party had bothered to nominate a more libertarian Libertarian Party presidential ticket,

3. AMcCarrick

“paulie
    April 23, 2017 at 09:22
    L”4T was never big L to my knowledge, nor is Tom Woods, so IPR-relatedness is questionable. At least add some kind of blurb such as Woods spoke at so and so LP convention, or whatever, to CYA.”

There were some Libertarian Party members who voted for Donald Trump.

I’m not sure if Tom Woods is or has ever been a member of the Libertarian Party, but he has spoken at Libertarian Party conventions (like the LP National Convention in Orlando last year, and the LP of Texas State Convention a few years ago).

5. AMcCarrick

There were some Libertarian Party members who voted for Donald Trump.

My point is add that to the article for IPR CYA. Is that hard to understand? Putting it in the comments is not the same thing.

“AMcCarrick
    April 23, 2017 at 09:32
    Andy you really need to be called out already. You’re completely full of shit. You’re a fucking Paleo-con masquerading as a libertarian. Just shut the fuck up already.”

“AMcCarrick
    April 23, 2017 at 09:34
    And if you’re reply is “you’re not either”, you’re right, I quit the LP. I’m a centrist.”

I didn’t know that you were ever in the LP, but somebody who is not even an LP member, and is a self described centrist, and who does not even know me, is certainly NOT qualified to make such comments.

“paulie
    April 23, 2017 at 09:34
    ‘There were some Libertarian Party members who voted for Donald Trump.’
    Yes, and some who voted for Clinton, some who voted for Stein, some who voted for Castle, some who didn’t vote, some who did vote but skipped the p race, some who wrote in…so what? That’s true every election.”

I recall there having been articles here that were about Libertarians for Trump (at least one), so why not have an article (ie-the video above) here about the aftermath of Libertarians for Trump?

11. Cody Quirk

“Yeah, but there was no organized movement for Libertarians to vote for any other candidate for President besides Donald Trump.”

Are you talking about actual officers/members of the L.P., or those that call themselves “(l)ibertarians” even though their positions on immigration, social issues, and the economy is more comparable to the alt-right then actual Libertarianism?

Probably a Yes on the latter.

12. JT

Also include Paul Frankel in that fake libertarian category since he is a communist antifa terrorist by his own admission. That is why he reposts Marxist party editorials and shills for Johnson/OAI, Sarvis and Stanton.

“Cody Quirk
    April 23, 2017 at 09:56
    ‘Yeah, but there was no organized movement for Libertarians to vote for any other candidate for President besides Donald Trump.’

Probably a Yes on the latter.”

Both. I know that there were some dues paying LP members, and some who are registered to vote as Libertarians, who voted for Donald Trump.

I met Gigi Bowman at the LP National Convention in Orlando, and she was so angry about Johnson and Weld winning the nominations that she said that she was going to vote for Donald Trump.

I did NOT support or vote for Donald Trump. I did NOT support or vote for Gary Johnson either. I voted for Darryl W. Perry on both ballots at the national convention in Orlando. If the presidential vote had gone for another ballot and if Perry had been eliminated, I probably would have voted for John McAfee. I might have been willing to put my differences with Austin Petersen aside if he had won the LP nomination (I think that he would have been a better candidate than Gary Johnson.

I ended up voting for the Constitution Party’s candidate for President, Darrell Castle, who is quite libertarian, more so than Gary Johnson, even though he’s not in the LP. I thought about not voting in the presidential race, or not voting at all, and I also thought about writing in None Of The Above for President, or writing in Darryl W. Perry, but since Castle was on my ballot, I figured that my vote for him would make the loudest statement against the political establishment. I did vote for the few Libertarian Party candidates who were on my ballot for other offices. I wrote in None Of The Above for any races that were just Democrat vs. Republican.

I never trusted Donald Trump, so I’m not surprised that he is already screwing things up, and I expect more of this to happen before his term is up.

14. George Dance

Andy – “Who the fuck are you and what the fuck are you talking about? I don’t know who you are, and you don’t know what the fuck you are talking about.”

15. dL

Oh yeah? Well I know everything about you there is to know, from your phone number to what room you stay at at the Motel 6 to your parents address to your license plate, to the fact that you wear ripped tighty whities with yellow and brown stains and have never gotten laid in all your 44 years.

The actual libertarians are all becoming Alt Right
    The libertarians who are the type that are interested in other people’s skid marks are all becoming the Alt Right

https://independentpoliticalreport.com/2016/04/libertarians-for-trump-launches-website/ makes an explicit reference to the LP in the body of the article. So does https://independentpoliticalreport.com/2016/03/walter-block-announces-formation-of-libertarians-for-trump/ Those were the two L4T articles at IPR last year. I am not asking you to pull the article, just to add a CYA blurb like all our other writers do. Why is that so difficult and why does it have to be explained more than once?

“George Dance
    April 23, 2017 at 11:32
    Andy – ‘Who the fuck are you and what the fuck are you talking about? I don’t know who you are, and you don’t know what the fuck you are talking about.’

He’s talking about your pontificating when you don’t know what you’re talking about, as above: You admit you don’t know how many, or if any, LP members voted for Donald Trump, but you’re quite eager to tell the world that they did and even why they did: because, according to you, the LP nominated Gary Johnson. Your evidence? Simply your imagination that, if the LP had nominated someone, anyone, else, less or no LP members would have voted for Trump.”

Well, like I said above, Gigi Bowman was an LP delegate in Orlando last year, and I spoke to her briefly at the convention, and she told me she was going to vote for Trump after Johnson/Weld got nominated, and she in fact publicly announced this online. I know of a few other LP members who said they voted for Trump, but I don’t know if they want this announced or not, so I’m not going to mention any names.

I don’t know everyone who got involved with Libertarians for Trump, either directly, or indirectly, so I don’t know the party membership history of all of these people who voted for Trump. I’ve been aware of Walter Block for a long time, but I don’t know if he has ever been a dues paying LP member or not. I do know that quite a few people who’ve been in the libertarian movement, and who have endorsed Libertarian Party candidates in the past, did vote for and/or support Trump.

I don’t think that voting for or supporting Trump was a sound decision, but given that the LP nominated such a lousy, uninspiring, and unprincipled ticket, and given that there were no other viable alternatives in the race (Castle was only on the ballot in 24 states), and given that Hillary Clinton was such a terrible candidate, I can see why these people did it. I’m not justifying what they did, I’m just saying that I can understand their reasoning, especially considering that Trump was more of a wildcard being that he’d never held office before. I NEVER jumped on the Trump train myself, and after Trump’s first 100 days in office, it looks like I was right once again.

“Everyone knows by now that you don’t like Gary Johnson, since you turn every comment thread into a constant whine about him. Every reader should have figured that out a year ago. I suspect most readers were as tired by your anti-Johnson propaganda as I was by the end of the election. Since you have such a good imagination: imagine how they feel now, when it’s six months after the election, and you’re still continuing with the propaganda.”

Johnson and Weld are like pieces of dog shit on the carpet of the Libertarian Party. Those in the LP responsible for Jonson/Weld are like the dogs who squeezed out those turds onto our carpet. I’m one of the people who has come in to clean the carpet, but before doing so, I want to rub the noses of the dogs who took a shit on the LP’s carpet in their own feces, to remind them not to do this again.

The last time the LP had a presidential ticket that I’d actually call libertarian was back in 2004. Hopefully the party will go back to nominating libertarians for its presidential ticket in 2020.

There is probably no such thing as a perfect candidate, and I doubt we’ll ever have anyone that pleases everybody in the party, but surely we can do better than we’ve done in the last three presidential nominations.

“Why can’t we all just get along?” – Rodney King

This place just keeps getting more divisive. It seems like Deran and Red Phillips hardly stop by anymore. Will all this angst ever subside?

19. dL

To my knowledge Tom Woods himself never endorsed Trump. His programming however caters to that crowd. The video itself revisits a pre-election debate between Walter Block and Bob Wenzel . Of course, Wenzel was right, and Block was wrong. Block defends himself by listing what Trump did right[sic], a list that at best contains some sesame libertarianism and at worst categorical error(Keystone pipeline) or blatant dishonesty(TPP). Wenzel rightly ripped Block a new asshole over that weak sauce, prompting Block to retreat into full victim mode by crying “purist libertarianism”(wah wah wahhh***well, maybe purist libertarians in ivory towers might object *** wah wah wahhh), a strange response from a so-called plumb line libertarian who actually works in an ivory tower.

Bottom line is that Block is a butthurt academic who has had run-ins with campus PC and mainstream press(unsuccessfully tried to sue the NY Times for libel). Rather than find a new university or new line of work(which is what you usually do if you find your working conditions unagreeable), he latched onto a dear leader figure who promised revenge against his political enemies. Which is what politics in America largely seems about these days: culture war. Block’s embrace of “Libertarians[sic] for Trump” should make him persona non grata within the LP.

20. dL

This place just keeps getting more divisive.

Well, l when the place is populated by persistent “libertarian” trump wreckers, it should become divisive. You prefer apathy or cordiality?

“You prefer apathy or cordiality?” – dL

Why are those the only choices?

22. dL

Why are those the only choices?

Well, the other choice is to disband the LP for reason that association w/ the gutter is doing more harm than any other good that comes out of the party. Libertarianism should have no truck w/ Trumpism, the alt right or paleo peckerwoods. Period.

“Libertarianism should have no truck w/ Trumpism, the alt right or paleo peckerwoods. Period.” – dL

And you are more than entitled to your opinion. I would add that the same is true of the hard left as well. As I recall that is why the LP was founded to begin with. To advocate for less government in all spheres… bedroom, boardroom, foreign affairs etc. That is very different from either the alt right or the hard left.

24. dL

Libertarianism is the most left-wing position you can arrive at. I’m not sure who you mean by the “hard left.” The democrats? lol

“Libertarianism is the most left-wing position you can arrive at.” – dL

I guess you and I have very different views of what is right or left wing. I see libertarianism as neither left nor right and yet both left and right. Whatever position reduces government control or authority to me is the libertarian position.

26. dL

Dictionary definitions:
    Left-wing==liberal, radical or state socialist
    right-wing==conservative/traditional or reactionary or fascist

Libertarianism is not state socialism, which historically is a competing faction within the left wing. However state socialism in practice is both quite authoritarian, culturally reactionary and quite archaic. Hence, libertarianism is the most-wing position you can arrive at.

It also obvious from the dictionary definitions that libertarianism is not both left and right. Only by the peculiar accident of latter 20th American history did conservatism somehow become associated w/ “free markets” and “limited government.” But that was lip service only. And, today, it is no longer even rhetorically true. Trumpism has restored the proper historical meaning of conservatism. In practice and in rhetoric.

27. Just Some Random Guy

A 40-minute video with no text or description? Yep, it’s an Andy post all right.

28. Kevin S Bjornson

1. The post is not a video, it is voice only. I’ve criticized Tom for being a techno-phobe, and also for being a southern secessionist. He denies being a “neo-Confederate” but that’s where his roots and sentiments are.

2. I’m dismayed at the gutter language and low-brow level of discussion here, which poses as intellectual but too often is a bad form of psychodrama.

3. Prof Block has not informed me he wants Trump impeached and we communicate at least every month. We agree that probably Assad regime did not do the recent gassing and that Trump’s strike against the air field was not a good idea. However, Trump is being hounded incessantly and loudly over a supposed Russian connection or Putin-philia. Attacking a Putin protoge was a political necessity.

4. Prof Block’s foreign policy is a fundamental misinterpretation of the liberty principle, in that he conflates “intervention” and “alliances” with “aggression” or even “force-initiation”. As I point out in my treatise, categorical non-interventionism is not required by the non-initiation-of-force principle, and I document that classical libertarianism was corrupted by estatism after the fall of Rome.

29. dL

lol…Did you get that from Fox News, Mr. Vanguard of high-minded intellectualism.

30. dL

If you want to see for yourself what the Libertarians for Trump FB page looks like, you may follow this link:

reads like a screen scrape of the Libertarian defense Caucus page.

31. Deran

Has there already beem an IPR rditorial discussion abt limiting Andy’s posting to a single Andy thread? The strategy has been successfully used in other cases.

32. Thane Eichenauer (@ilovegrover)

Neither Andy nor any other authorized poster should be a victim of the “heckler’s veto” save that I certainly agree with the idea that IPR should have a defined focus and that articles should conform to the guidelines established for IPR.

Bjornson, Walter Block certainly mentioned tentatively establishing a Libertarians to impeach Trump group several times during the segment. He also mentioned that he was chastened by certain of Trump’s actions.

I agree with your point two. Luckily there exists a page down button. Would that we didn’t need to use it but until the operators install the Everlasting Gobstopper of comment systems we have the comment system and the commenters that choose to participate not the ones we wish to had. Nothing wrong about wishing either were different or better though.

33. Kevin S Bjornson

The connection to the LP is this: the LP has been misled by Murray Rothbard, who, do to persistence, appearance of intellectual qualifications, and a hardcore of supporters, has misled the LP. His legacy lives on. The debate is not whether Rothbard was right, but whether to accept his ideas wholeheartedly or moderately.

Those who dissent from the Rothbard view, tend to be hounded and chased out of the party. Like my friend Wayne Root was.

Rothbard pulls an intellectual sleight of hand. On the one hand, he conflates “government” and “state”, proposing both be abolished. On the other, he claims existing “states” or “governments” have a sovereign right to exist and not be overthrown by intervention, while he also proposes agencies of retaliatory/defensive force that would be governments in fact if not in name.

dL said: “Such intimate knowledge of his underwear means you are either loaned it to him or you have been fucking him…The only remaining question, and it’s a very uninteresting question, is who is responsible for the skid marks…”

LOL!!!!!!

That’s the most pathetic and disgusting statement ever. Those were HUMAN BEINGS who died because of Trump playing with his war toys.

Andy: all the comments you have added, and you still haven’t added a simple blurb to the article explaining why it belongs on IPR? That’s a requirement for every article where the connection is not immediately obvious.

37. Tony From Long island

Any libertarian who is for Trump is not a libertarian. . . . . . . . .

Jill, we are definitely on the same page about Trump showing everyone how big his missile is. . . . .

Paulie, when you give a nutbag the keys to the car, you have to own where it is driven.

No problem with the videos and columns Andy reposts, they have generated traffic and discussion, and have generally been within our topic guidelines. But adding the blurb relating it to alt parties is one of IPR’s rules. If those rules can’t be followed, articles will start to be held and not go live until they are brought up to our standards.

“Tony From Long island
    April 24, 2017 at 07:22
    Any libertarian who is for Trump is not a libertarian. . . . . . . . .”

But libertarians for Gary Johnson are really all libertarians, and Gary Johnson was such a great hardcore libertarian? LOL!!!

Especially considering that Gary Johnson had CFR shill, warmonger, police state worshiper, gun grabber, and Clinton & Bush lover, Bill Weld, as his chosen preferred running mate, and if elected, his co-President (Johnson said he wanted Weld to be more than his Vice President, he wanted him to be his co-President).

So the people who supported Johnson/Weld were really supporting some great hardcore libertarian campaign from two principled libertarians? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. dL

No, “Republicans for Trump” is the appropriate place for wolves in wolves clothing. Which is where you should be, wrecker…

42. Tony From Long Island

It’s quite odd when Darth Trump continues to be obsessed with Obama and Hillary but it’s outright ridiculous that you continue your obsession with J/W

“Tony From Long Island
    April 24, 2017 at 11:26
    Andy comparing the libertarianism of Johnson & Weld to that of Trump just shows how fully deluded you are and that you are simply obsessed with Johnson and Weld.”

None of the three are libertarians.

44. Tony From Long Island

Neither are you, Andy if you believe in a wall to stop brown people.

45. Stephen Kent Gray

First, there is the Political Compass chart to the rescue.

2004 Michael Badnarik (grid missing, but 10,-4 if my estimate is correct)

2008 Bob Barr (8,4)

2012 Ron Paul (9,-1) and Gary Johnson (10,0)

2016 Gary Johnson (10,-2)

So basically in summary, Gary Johnson was the most libertarian the Party has had since Michael Badnarik in 2004. I had to eyeball the 2004 chart and compare it to the likely y value of Green, Socialist USA, and Raplh Nader which ranged from -2 to -4. So I gave Michael Badnarik (10,-4), but if I gave (10,-2) he’d have the same score as Gary Johnson 2016.

Donald Trump (6,9) wasn’t near the libertarian zone. If you use Bob Barr (8,4) as a minimum then (8-10,-10-4) is the range of the libertarian zone.

Idiotic comment from Tony, a person who is not even qualified to say who is a libertarian since he is far from being one himself.

I support private property borders in an anarcho-capitalist society. Whether or not people put walls around them is up to the property owners.

My position here is very much inline with that of the late “Mr. Libertarian” himself, Murray N. Rothbard.

47. Tony From Long Island

Andy:

” . . . .As for the interim, I favor keeping out socialists, communists, theocrats, welfare leeches, criminals, and people with communicable diseases. I have already posted policy positions on this subject, which includes cutting off all government welfare programs to immigrants and making it more difficult to become an American citizen. . . . . ”

Ahh . . I see. . . liberty for you, but not for anyone unless they completely agree with you. . . Finally I understand . . .

Leave the LP Andy . . . you are an embarrassment to it’s principles.

Leave the LP Andy . . . You give them a bad name

Leave the LP Andy. . . . Please.

Leave the LP Andy . . . libertarianism is incompatible with xenophobia

Leave the LP Andy . . . They don’t need paranoid conspiracy theorists.

Leave the LP Andy . . .

48. Tony From Long Island

Andy

” . . . .“AMcCarrick:

Andy: Who the fuck are you and what the fuck are you talking about? I don’t know who you are, and you don’t know what the fuck you are talking about.

Pretty much everyone who posts on here knows exactly what he’s talking about. I’d say most of us agree.

49. Stephen Kent Gray

I forgot in my earlier comment to list more people.

2008 Mike Gravel (who was running in the Democrat primary) (8,-3) This is what could have been if we had nominated him instead basically back in 2008!

50. Tony From Long Island

Whatever numbers you want to post, Andy will just continue to scream at no one about Johnson / Weld.

51. Stephen Kent Gray

On the Political Compass, X means -10 for socialism and 10 for neoliberalism, while Y means -10 for anarchism and 10 for fascism. This gives four quadrants of Authoritarian Left (-10,10), Authoritarian Right (10,10), Libertarian Left (-10,-10), and Libertarian Right (10,-10). Those were the four corners showing the extreme points of each quadrant, but they give examples of how graduated each score is.

Wikipedia has an article on political spectra (spectrum is singular) and articles on each one like the Political Compass and others.

52. dL

Anarcho-capitalism does not follow from private property borders. A border is a jurisdictional delineation. Anarcho-capitalism relies on law and security delivered as a market good, not a public good[sic](or a private Lockean state of nature one). The use of “anarcho-capitalism” in this instance is misnomer(probably a deliberate one).

You use a misnomer with no theoretical value to justify an increase in state power. That’s the only practical application of it: increase state power. No libertarian would ever or should ever advocate for an increase in state power. Such advocacy disqualifies one from being a libertarian. People who advocate for increasing state power are statists.Bottom-line. Usually the worst forms of state power follow from the “interim” solutions of right-deviationist theoretical error, whether Marxist/Leninist “Dictatorship of the Proletariat,” Mao’s “Cultural Revolution,” or the obvious dystopia that would result from the Hoppean “Dictatorship of the Taxpayer.”

53. Gene Berkman

Dr. Walter Block made clear that in establishing Libertarians for Trump, he was inspired by Murray Rothbard. Dr. Rothbard constantly attempted to find a powerful non-libertarian that Libertarians could get behind to promote the libertarian cause. If Rothbard found a champion who among other things held some outrageously authoritarian position, all the better. It would give Rothbard a reason to attack other libertarians for letting some petty concern stop them from backing the leader that Rothbard decided upon. So Pat Buchanan’s reactionary attitudes on immigration and other issues were turned into examples of libertarian sectarianism if libertarians objected to supporting Buchanan.

Dr. Block felt that Donald Trump would promote a peaceful foreign policy or, as indicated on the Libertarians for Trump site – “Limited Aggression.” Donald Trump’s positive attitude toward the Putin regime was certainly in line with Dr. Rothbard, who was a long-time defender of Soviet foreign policy, in the name of opposing “US imperialism.” In his LA Times column on his disillusionment with Trump, Justin Raimondo mentions Trump’s friendliness toward Russia as a reason to vote for him:http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-raimondo-trump-betrayal-antiwar-20170421-story.html

I have been involved in libertarian committees set up to support major party candidates, but only those who took pro-freedom positions on major policy issues. Libertarians for Trump is a vestigial leftover from the worst aspects of Murray Rothbard’s failed political strategy for the libertarian movement.

54. dL

I agree that “Libertarians for Trump” is rotten artifact from the worst of Rothbard. However,”vestigial leftover” is not the term I would use. More like a “vestigial cancer” that has metastasized under the hormonic suffuse of Hans Herman Hoppe and the postmodern culture war of American politics. And I don’t think there is any prescription in the conservative-fusionist medicine cabinet that can effectively neutralize it.

55. dL

First, there is the Political Compass chart to the rescue.

Not really. I’m quite skeptical of most online political charts, including the “Nolan Chart.” I took the same “I side with” test that Johnson took. Of course, I ended up “siding” with Johnson. But b/c the test allowed participants to annotate their multiple-choice answers, a deeper inspection showed my annotated version did not side at all with Johnson’s annotated version.

56. Kevin S Bjornson

Hans Hermann Hoppe is not any kind of “hawk” by any stretch of the imagination,
    and I doubt very much his Turkish girlfriend/hotel owner would appreciate if he admired Trump.

Name and label dropping does not necessarily indicate knowledge of the subject matter.

Rothbard distorted the libertarian movement, fortunately still a majority of libertarians do
    not buy into his weird incoherent philosophy. Which goes a long way toward explaining why
    the LP alienates so many libertarians.

57. dL

Hans Hermann Hoppe is not any kind of “hawk” by any stretch of the imagination,

Who said he was?

Yeah, relocating to Turkey is a peculiar move for someone who penned (race) realistic libertarianism

“Name dropping” is the practice of dropping a name with an implicit or explicit inference that that the one dropping the name personally knows the name being dropped. A practice that you like to engage in, pal.On more than one occasion. Like what you just did w/ your reference to an implied personal knowledge of Hoppe’s girlfriend. That being said, I do concur that name dropping is often used as a proxy type of “argument from authority” when one has no authority or argument. I like to call them “jock sniffers.”

the LP alienates so many libertarians.

I’m much more Karl Hess than Rothbard. I’m not the one to be charged to defend Rothbard. However, the “Libertarian Defense Caucus” is an embarrassment that occupies its own place in the pantheon of things that alienate actual libertarians from the LP.

58. Pingback: KN@PP Stir Podcast, Episode 126: ‘Please Refrain from Masticating the Henway’ | Independent Political Report